A serious question on rebarreling an early Ruger 77V .22-250

Help Support Ruger Forum:

was1911

Bearcat
I have a 1975 Ruger 77V 22-250 with tang safety that's well past barrel shot out - 4m +. Built a Reinhart-Fajen laminated birch thumbhole stock for it in the late 80's. Have the old Canjar push forward on the shoe "set trigger". This ole gal has accounted for a ton of crows turning into a black dusty cloud and etc through the years. It would shoot a touching cloverleaf at 200 with Sierra Matchkings and 33 grs of 30-31 - with just fireformed brass and .010 off the lands.

I've built a number of serious handguns over the last 40 years but am not a riflesmith.

Can any serious member, with some experience with having a Ruger 77 rebarreled pass on a good tip as to who could really be trusted to rebarrel this old tack driver. Not saying that money is no object but I'm up for Lilja.

If possible, l I would appreciate just serious tips on rebarreling this Ruger and not suggs about another rifle - ie: "Buy a Rem 700", "Don't", etc.

I thank you for any help on this.

Will
'69-'70

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
One place I would be talking to is Brux Barrels. Norman Brux is making some of the best out there right now. A call to them and all your questions should be answered. I havn't personally built one with his barrels but a buddy has done 3 now and they are absolute tackdrivers! I have witnessed his rifles in action out on our prairie dog trips!

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I suggest you post this question on the Ruger No. 1 forum. There are a couple of guys there who have had several No. 1s rebarreled.

willk

Blackhawk
ER Shaw rebarreled my 77MK II and it is a genuine tack driver. They built the barrel, installed it on the action and blued both to andeep, high luster. Very satisfied and highly recommended.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
Since this is a desirable pre-warning barrel, I would have it rebored to 25 caliber and have the barrel set back a thread for a nice clean minimum .250 Savage chamber. You already have brass for it.