A question for chet15 & maybe others

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I was discussing a possible oddity with another fine Forum member last night,, that begs a question.

Ruger boxes.
Plastic box, with the SR logo, on a fairly recent production gun.
Specifically, a 89 prefixed Super Blackhawk, in the box,, and the lid has the SR logo,, while other older guns he has,, has the "hard R" logo.

Thoughts?
Comments?

I'm thinking old stock boxes,, dug out because they fit that particular model,, (a Bisley version,) to use up,, since they only produce that frame sized variation occasionally.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Contender,

If I remember correctly,
The early 1st issue grey plastic case's had the SR logo on top, both ends on the case were pebble textured so attaching and end label was not feasible thus requiring a shipping sleeve. The stacking ring on the bottom of the case was not quite adequate.

The next variation featured one end of the case smooth for attaching the proper end label and eliminating the need for a shipping sleeve. The same SR logo on lid and they also featured four "Feet" molded into the bottom of the case for better stacking. I don't know if that helps any. :)
Terry

Minor moderator edit. :wink:

I've never had much luck deciphering it, but there is a molding date on the inside of some plastic cases. That "could" tell you if the case is contemporary with the firearm. Here's one from a MKIII "R" case.

vuUpsPYl.jpg

Coogs

Maximum
you do know with Ruger anything is possible......I've seen a Max in a plastic box with the correct end label. As well as Max "bar code" labels on the cardboard boxes.....bar codes didn't come out for at least ten years after production of the Max was stopped. Just my 2 cents.

chet15

Hawkeye
contender said:
I was discussing a possible oddity with another fine Forum member last night,, that begs a question.

Ruger boxes.
Plastic box, with the SR logo, on a fairly recent production gun.
Specifically, a 89 prefixed Super Blackhawk, in the box,, and the lid has the SR logo,, while other older guns he has,, has the "hard R" logo.

Thoughts?
Comments?

I'm thinking old stock boxes,, dug out because they fit that particular model,, (a Bisley version,) to use up,, since they only produce that frame sized variation occasionally.

It really depends on when the guns shipped. And even then, they might have finally used up old stock.
The hard R generally began when the new Ruger hierarchy came into office, with the change even in grip medallions from SR to R. But the changes weren't all at once.
Chet15

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I have a Great 8 that came in a yellow and black cardboard box with the proper label that shipped several years after all the other Great 8s shipped. I bought it from the original owner that said he bought it that way. They normally came in gray plastics box.