A Past Memory

Help Support Ruger Forum:

In one of my gun-parts drawers, I often push this old reel aside to get to whatever else I may be looking for. This reel deserves more respect.

I bought it when I was 12 years old, which is just shy of fifty years ago. I still remember paying 12-bucks for it, brand new, and I was proud. Used it for many years, including many years as an adult. It's still a great reel.

I often wonder what will become of many of the things I've got stashed away. Although I raised my kids to hunt and fish, they have no interest in either now. And although many of us slightly older chaps appreciate this kind of stuff, I can't imagine the younger generation ever will.

WAYNO.

WAYNO, get that reel out of the drawer and put it on an end table or a desk; and enjoy it. Have it out where you can look at it, pick it up and touch it, relive the memorable times with it. Don't put it back in that drawer where it's just something to move out of the way reaching for something else. If you're ever ready to get rid of it, I'll be more than glad to buy it from you; and will proudly display it for you.
Nothing but the best to you,
Jay "Shotgungibbs" Prather

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Shotgungibbs said:
WAYNO, get that reel out of the drawer and put it on an end table or a desk; and enjoy it. Have it out where you can look at it, pick it up and touch it, relive the memorable times with it. Don't put it back in that drawer where it's just something to move out of the way reaching for something else. If you're ever ready to get rid of it, I'll be more than glad to buy it from you; and will proudly display it for you.

I disagree, put it on a rod and go drown some worms.

That was before Penn bought them out I have a soft spot for old reels I probley have 40 or 50 sitting on my shelf now I once had a collection of fly reels back to the early 1800s sold them all to buy a Ruger rifle :lol: :lol: I really miss those old reels :( :(

GRAMPS

Hugh

Buckeye
Wow, Wayno, such a neat ol' reel. Pass it on.

The first salt water reel I bought was a Penn 140 (Squidder), along with a 6-1/2' Garcia rod in 1970. That rig and I caught a lot of salmon out of San Francisco and Puget Sound. Over the years we added a number of Penn reels and Shakespeare rods. More salmon and cods.

In 2007 while preparing for our move to Utah we had a yard sale wherein we parted with all of the salt water gear; well most of it. The 12-year old grandson of our neighbor came over to look and saw that old Garcia and Penn 140 combination (my favorite rig). He didn't have his own rig and always used grand-dad's gear. He asked me what I wanted for it and because he was who he was I suggested he take it to grand-dad and ask if it was worth $5.00 (I couldn't just give it away). He went across the road and was gone for a while. When he came back he handed me a roll of dimes and went away smiling; so was I.

The following year we came back to Washington for a visit. Grand-dad told me the kid caught a 20 pound Chinook on "his own" rig. They were happy and I was pleased. We just hooked another fisherman.

Could I have gotten more money for that Penn reel? Yes. Could I have gained more? No.

That reel you have has value that is not only measured in dollars.

Yep, I do wish I had Grandkids to give my stuff to. I know it has relatively little monetary value, but this stuff has made me rich over the years. I just cannot yet part with any of it by selling it.

As far as actually using this or any of my other reels, I do fish occasionally. I have more poles and reels than many sporting goods stores. So if I did ever have Grandkids to give my stuff to, I would never run out of fishing equipment to keep for myself. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

pete44ru

Hunter

I can't get over the exceptional condition that reel still exhibits, Wayne - it looks fairly new !

FWIW, I have the aging syndrome, too - my (now adult) children, even though two of them shoot/hunt, prefer the newer plastic/fantastic items (including camo patterns) to the older traditional/classic versions.

Sooooo, I've been selling off whatever I remember where I put it, - lest my "stuff" getting tossed in the trash, if I'm not around to tell my family just what they have (and how much it's worth).

Like this Pachmayr Super Deluxe pistol box:

DSCN1962.jpg

DSCN1961.jpg

pete44ru said:

Sooooo, I've been selling off whatever I remember where I put it, - lest my "stuff" getting tossed in the trash, if I'm not around to tell my family just what they have (and how much it's worth).

That's a nice old pistol box.

This is a real issue to me. I've got a lifetime of treasures stashed about everywhere, but I can't usually bring myself to part with this stuff. But I also know if I don't get rid of it, much of it will end up at the Gooodwill when it's out of my control.

Here's a couple more photos...The first is another old reel I bought when I was very young. Not in the same class as the Ocean City, but still a serviceable reel that I've used for many years. It could still be used today. I used to fish a lot. Always had boats, and often took groups of people out fishing. Folks often didn't have the right fishing poles and reels to match what we'd be fishing for, so I often provided all the poles. Had to have a lot of them to cover all the bases, so here's a bit of my stash.

WAYNO.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Neat reel and story.

My youngest son has stolen all of my fishing gear. I thought he had it all but he found one rod and reel I had hidden in the crawlspace under the house this summer, so it's gone now two. Hopefully he will have kids to pass them on to some day.

Dana

Wayne
I see more than a few perfectly usable salmon rigs in the picture. Maybe contact a guide and do some trading next time you want to go fishing. An older friend of mine used to always haul along one of his aging but usable set ups in the drift boat seat. If he saw a kid on the bank just watching dad or throwing rocks, he would make a point to pull the drift boat to the bank and put a huge smile on a kids face by passing along a rod & reel. Talk about passing along a bit of karma. :) He was my fly fishing mentor and I still have the first old graphite fly rod he gifted me some 35+ years ago.

gunsbam69

Hunter
Selena said:
Shotgungibbs said:

I disagree, put it on a rod and go drown some worms.

Either would be better than in the drawer :!: I walked down to Gather's hardware when I was 8 and bought my first gun, a Daisy BB gun. Looked like a Red Ryder but with the plastic stock and it didn't say Red Ryder on it. Just the standard model. Gave $10.30 for it back when sales tax was 3% there. 2 Years later I got my first 22, and don't even remember where the BB gun went now. I killed a LOT of birds with that baby. I'd love to have it back, even if it didn't function, just so I could hang it up where I could look at it and remember my first one. I love old reels myself. I've got one of the old J.C. Higgins bait casters with the bass jumping out of the water on the reel side and half a dozen different game fish on the other. Got a Shakespeare True Blue from '56 and a Great Lakes. All 3 are up on the mantle of the fire place with some of my best lures that I wore out or broke on big bass and had to replace and retired.