A good day at the range with my old M77 red pad .06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Victor23

Bearcat
Right after high school I had a chance to go hunting out in Colorado. I was just starting college way back then. I needed a rifle and only had about $200 to use. I went to the local pawn shop and browsed through the racks of rifles. I had no idea what I was looking at. The sales person pointed me to a nice looking used M77 in 30-06. It was in my price range and proudly I went out the door with my first rifle.
I worked extra hours and saved some money for a Redfield Accutrac in 3x9. This was during the time when Redfield and Leupold were in direct competition for top of the line optics.
I took two decent mule deer that trip. One on my tag and one for my elderly grandfather who accompanied me.
That was over 35 years ago. Over those 35 years, I continued to take many deer and wild hogs. That gun never failed me despite me dropping it out of my tree stand at about 35 feet up. It fell off the truck one time, and survived a few other bumps here and there. She still looks surprising good and better yet still shoots well.

I was invited to go hunting this upcoming week end so thought it prudent to take it out and practice a little. My schedule being what it has been over the past few years has left me no time or opportunity to go hunting.

I had some reloads laying around that I loaded about 20 years ago. I shot them at 100 yards and found my impact just a couple of inches low. Made a few clicks on the old redfield and was back in the circle. I loaded a new batch of 165 grain SPBT pushing about 2800 FPS with 57 grains of IMR 4350 which was also 20 years old. It shot great.

Now this is obviously not a precision gun. However, when an aged set of eyes accompanied with an old Ruger rifle still shoots under 2" at 100 yards with an occasional clover leaf, that is a good day. My 20 year old daughter was with me and she shot two bulls eyes with it. I was amazed to say the least since she never shot the gun before or any rifle much for that matter.

This weekend as the woods come alive with the morning sun, once again I will be sitting patiently with that old .06 across my lap just as I did over 35 years ago. I could buy a new gun and modern optics. However, I am quite content knowing that if I do my job that rifle will continue to do its part.
Wish me luck.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
When I was growing up, my dad traded into an M77 in 06. I loved shooting it, and hoped that he would bestow it upon me, but not to be. However, I eventually got mine, like you, from a pawn shop...... It's a shooter as well.

Hi Welcome to the Forum you picked a great gun and it will last you 5 lifetimes I have many hunting rifles but always take one of my earliest rifles M77 in 270 or another in 7x57 it just feels right

Gramps

Victor23

Bearcat
Well I did not get to hunt with my favorite rifle this weekend. My daughter requested to use it on her first deer hunt. How could I refuse? She did good taking her first doe at over 100 yards. I used another rifle that had never seen the woods before. We both took does on Friday and I took a nice buck Sunday morning