9mm Recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LCP22LR

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking to break in a 9mm I plan to carry. I want to train and ultimately carry a decent round.

Any brands I should stay from currently that have terrible quality control? Is there any that you recommend I get a box or two to try out?

Any online places to buy from? Lucky Gunner etc.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
SGAmmo has Remington FMJ for $290.00 plus tax FREE shipping for 1K rounds. They have Winchester for about the same. There are some "lesser brands" for a couple cents per round less. Never heard of them but they might be just fine. SGA is a family business that wouldn't continue to sell it if it was crappy.

pyth0n

Buckeye
I'm looking to break in a 9mm I plan to carry. I want to train and ultimately carry a decent round.

Any brands I should stay from currently that have terrible quality control? Is there any that you recommend I get a box or two to try out?

You can price shop at AMMOSEEK.COM.
As to reliability of function, it's subjective based on your firearm & personal preference. I've have good & bad experiences with remanufactured ammo. The brand name stuff is almost always the safer bet. Lesser known manufacturers of NEW ammo is hit & miss (pun intended).

Not recently, but over the years I've heard the White Box stuff, Remington or Winchester, I can't recall, is pretty bad... but for practice it is not really a big deal. I'd recommend Georgia Arms factory reloads especially for practice but they are probably still down from the fire that occurred after a lightning strike.

I would get at least a half dozen different defensive loads in different weights along with a few hundred round nose FMJ's. Shoot rested groups to determine actual accuracy and what feeds reliably. The best wizz bang round in the world is useless if it won't feed or hit what you are aiming at from your gun.

I wouldn't disqualify any of the 'name brand' ammo choices. As far as 'break in', I expect a gun to work right out of the box so 50-100 rounds should be verification of function. With this in mind, I often begin with a few rounds of cheap(or my practice reloads) FMJ followed by a selection of the rounds I may want to carry. I simply don't see the need for a 500 round torture test with junk ammo as being required.

Enigma

Hunter
Winchester 'white box' ammo has garnered a very poor reputation recently for widely varying powder charges within the same box of ammo. Their higher priced ammo is better, but I won't buy white box ammo in any caliber. For self-defense ammo, buy something that is readily available, and comes in 50-round boxes. Speer Gold Dot 2 ammo is a good choice, and is also quite effective. I'm told that the FBI carries it, for what that's worth.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to test 124 grain Gold-Dot standard pressure ammo several times to dispatch vehicle struck deer. In every case, this ammo performed perfectly on ribcage shots. This is what I carried in my KP95DC for years. I currently carry Norma MHP 108 grain(?) in the G2C as it seems to expand more readily in the shorter barrel.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
When I encounter a handgun that's "finicky" about what kind of ammo cycles in it, I consider it to be a poorly designed gun. There may be exceptions to this, but if a gun needs to have a "special" kind of ammo to function, it's probably on the verge of not functioning at all.

LCP22LR

Administrator
Staff member
I bought some Underwood ammo - even tried some of their blemish rounds.

LCP22LR

Administrator
Staff member
What pistol are we talking about? Ammo selection might be better paired knowing the barrel length, besides "I just gots to know."
This would be for a concealed carry piece - I was deciding between two pistols. G43x vs the Max 9

RC44Mag

Buckeye
This would be for a concealed carry piece - I was deciding between two pistols. G43x vs the Max 9
Two good choices, My nephew is NYPD and his off duty carry piece is a G43x and he loves it. His ammunition of choice for that is Critical Defense by Hornady. It's specifically made to perform very well in short barreled autos. I think that combo would suit you well.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
How you plan to carry will determine what type of pistol you need as well as the type of holster(s) you should look in to.
Pocket carry pistols will need to be small and light. Appendix carry, in the waistband or outside the waistband carry will mean a size pistol that can be concealed but also comfortably carried as well as shoulder holsters.
Think of the whole thing as a package. An awkward or uncomfortable package is going to get left home.

When I encounter a handgun that's "finicky" about what kind of ammo cycles in it, I consider it to be a poorly designed gun. There may be exceptions to this, but if a gun needs to have a "special" kind of ammo to function, it's probably on the verge of not functioning at all.
The problem is new "Special Ammos" that keep popping up that nobody ever imagined a firearm being able to cycle.