9.3x62 vs 375 H&H

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Hi there.

These two cartridges have been compared many times in South-Africa. 9.3s were brought to Africa a long time ago and they were used to shoot all of the dangerous and big game in Africa. Personally I do not think these two cartridges should be compared as they are actually worlds apart. I think it is like comparing a 308 with a 300 win mag. The thing is that both these cartridges are entry level heavy calibers for big game. I have also read an article of a guy that was appointed to do capture data on Elephant culling and he found that the 9.3 almost always out penetrated the 375. What do you guys think? Can they be compared and what would you choose for what reason?

Pieter

mattsbox99

Hunter
The 9.3 bullet has better sectional density than .375 bullets, so it makes sense that it would out penetrate the .375.

I've never shot either and don't really care to. One of my friends went to Africa this past June and shot everything with his PH's Suppressed 7x64, including a Blue Wildebeest.

EVR

Single-Sixer
I own both, and also the 9.3x57 I load to pre-1930 9,3x62 velocities.

I like all of them, but the .375 H/H has the greatest recoil.

As for performance, on game, I can't see any difference, tho the greater velocity of the .375 H/H offers slightly flatter trajectories in my gun over my shorter barreled 9.3x62.

As for performance at common game shooting ranges, I see no difference.

Robertson claims he has seen superior performance from the x62 on buffalo and down loads his .375 to meet 9.3x62 specs.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99 said:
The 9.3 bullet has better sectional density than .375 bullets, so it makes sense that it would out penetrate the .375.

That's true when comparing 286-grain bullets in the 9.3x62 to 270-grain bullets in the 375 H&H. But the SD of a 300-grain 0.375" bullet is the same as a 286-grain 0.366" bullet so you can't make a blanket statement that the 9.3x62 penetrates better due to SD unless the bullet weights are known.

Also can't make that statement without knowing what type of bullet is involved (soft point or solid). Given two soft point bullets with the same jacket thickness and equivalent SD the 9.3x62 would likely penetrate better because the bullet wouldn't deform as much (primarily due to the higher velocity of the 375 H&H causing more deformation / increased frontal area of the bullet and thus less penetration).

I can't speak to which would be "better" for African game, and my experience with the 375 H&H is what I consider minimal. My personal choice was to replace a 375 H&H, 358 Winchester, and 338 Win Mag with a 9.3x62. For what I expect to hunt in my lifetime the 9.3x62 can cover all the bases those other rifles covered, and keep my life simpler by having a single cartridge on hand rather than three different ones. I also like that the 9.3x62 fits into a standard length action and that I'm not losing magazine capacity from a belted case.

That said, if I was looking for an African "entry level heavy caliber" I think I'd probably go with the 375 H&H or one of the 40-caliber cartridges.

MClark

Bearcat
I have both. I really like my 9.3's
If you are planning to hunt Big 5 some countries have a 375 minimum.
I used a 9.3x62 two years ago on a plains game hunt in South Africa, zebra, blue wildebeest, kudu even used it on a duiker. If I had taken the 375 it would have been no different. That said the 375 is more gun, at long range with heavy bullets it is a better choice than the 9.3. I would use a 375 at 300 yards but passed on a 250 yd shot with the 9.3, so we just stalked closer
The biggest thing is ammunition availability, I have never seen a box of 9.3 on a shelf, and things may change with the Ruger Hawkeye coming out. But 375 is fairly common.

When we got to the place we were going to hunt in RSA the Old Boer lodge manager asked what caliber I had. I said a 9.3x62, he smiled and said, "That is what I use."

Mark

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have the CZ 550 full stock carbine in 9.3 and a No 1 in 375 H & H, I guess the difference between the two is the African version of "308 vs 30.06". The 550 is a light little rifle & of all the things CZ does well making recoil pads isn't one of them. :(

There are alot more bullets to chose from when reloading for the 375 as opposed to the (.366) 9.3 Mauser.

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
I think both are brilliant cartridges and both have been used with great success all over Africa. I like the fact that the 9.3 comes in a standard length action and with its low recoil it can be chambered in a much lighter rifle that makes carrying it all day a pleasure and on top of that a rifle with brilliant penetrating power. The extra stopping power of the 375 can not be ignored though and does make one feel that it might be a better choice for heavy dangerous game.

Pieter

EVR

Single-Sixer
dfletcher said:
There are alot more bullets to chose from when reloading for the 375 as opposed to the (.366) 9.3 Mauser.

Actually, it is kind of the opposite.

Any lead-core .375 bullet {except for steel jacketed FMJ's} can be resized/drawn to .366, giving you both spectrums of bullets.

I've been doing it for years in my 9.3 rifles with superb accuracy and great performance on game. I use Lee bullet sizing dies and tho it takes a little time is very easy to do.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I've owned a couple of rifles in 375 H&H ,and and two in 9.3 X57 ,one in 9.3X62......I must say I leaned toward the 9.3 's especially the 9.3X62

Great round...not a lot of fuss..but got the job done....I really don't see a practical advantage with the 375 H&H in North America....

chancesr

Bearcat
I have had both a 9.2 x 62 and a 375HH. From my handloading experience the fact that the 9.3 does not have a belt is an advantage. The recoil on the 9.3 CZ Mannlicher I had was murder and the 375 was murder Plus 20%.

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
I have the CZ550, with the longer barrel and pretty straight American stock. Very pleasant rifle, even from the bench. Stock design means a great deal on robust rifles. I have never had one with the hogback full length stock, but can see where the amount of drop would let it slap your face pretty good. The velocity is only 2300-2600, depending on bullet weight, so the recoil is more of a push than a whack. Quite accurate, too. Normally get 3 shot clusters at 100, not too much bigger at 200.
The 9.3x74R is the same ballistics, but in a long tapered rimmed case for single shots and break open actions. I have a #1 in this, and am very pleased with it as well. Since Ruger has dropped this caliber, look for killer deals on close outs this spring.
My shooting buddy has a 1951 vintage M70 Win in 375 H&H, which I have shot a fair bit. Ok to use standing, but I would not care to spend the afternoon at the bench with it. Stock design again. He did shoot some mule deer with it years ago, and one running antelope at about 250 yards............Granted he is a good shot, but I suspect the speed goat was having a truly bad day.

rebel46

Single-Sixer
I have used a .375 for years and handloaded for it. I used 235 gr Hornady for deer and 300 gr partitions for elk and bear. You can't argue with success. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!

don44

Hunter
rebel46 said:
I have used a .375 for years and handloaded for it. I used 235 gr Hornady for deer and 300 gr partitions for elk and bear. You can't argue with success. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
+10 :D

EVR said:
dfletcher said:
Any lead-core .375 bullet {except for steel jacketed FMJ's} can be resized/drawn to .366, giving you both spectrums of bullets.

Great idea, I have a die for reducing 8mm (.323") bullets to .318" for older Mausers, I never thought to do that with the 375 / 366!

I just bought an M70 Zastava 9.3x62 today. I'm looking forward to picking it up and using it.

Thanks again.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I've had several 375's, 9.3x74's and a 9.3x62. I think the comparison of 9.3 vs 375 for African big game is a bit like the 6mm vs 25 caliber deer rifle comparison. For varmints the 6mm and 25 are both plenty, plus. Same for the 9.3 and 375 for plains game. For deer the 6mm and 25 are plenty adequate, but there are cartridges that provide more margin. Same for the 9.3 and 375 for buffalo and elephant. Some properties that I've hunted here in the East required a 25 or larger bore rifle for deer hunting, a 6mm wasn't accepted. Same thing happens with the 9.3x62. The 9.3 does not meet government requirements in a some areas. The 375 does in all areas that I'm aware of. If you are serious about buffalo or elephant, the 375 makes more sense. You might get an opportunity to hunt in one of those areas that you just can't pass up and where the 9.3 isn't acceptable. For me, I've sold my 375's and got a 9.3x62 as my light rifle to pair up with my 416. If you're going to be using it here in the US, it's a toss up that you can argue either way.
Bfly