6" stainless Security Six prices

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dregg

Single-Sixer
....what are the typical prices these guns are commanding ?

2 months ago, I spied a 6" stainless Security Six in a LGS with a price tag of $399. Of course I picked it up. Today, in a different LGS I saw the same gun priced at $395.

Is this a realistic price for a stainless 6" Security Six ??
I would like to think they would command a price closer to $500.

What does the hive say ?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I never see any used ones around these parts. I do believe the shorter barrel models command a higher price than the 6" though.
IIRC when I bought mine new back in the 70`s they were around $300 list new.

Terry T

Buckeye
There are some special ones but the run of the mill ones are in that ball park, say $350 - $450.
I also think that prices have settled back a bit, maybe $50, in the last month or so. Some of the panic buying seems to have settled down a bit. A nice clean 2 3/4" stainless .357 mag. Service Six just went for only $300 in the last couple of days on Gunbroker.com.
I'd still say that $400 is a good price for a nice clean one while a $500 one would have to be ANIB w/box and $600 would have to be a collector limited ed. of some sort and then NIB w/box.
I'd also agree with "Chuck 100 yd" that there is less demand for the 6" although it has been amusing to me to see the "Walking Dead" hero sporting 6" stainless Python. Makes one think that such pieces might come back in vogue. :shock:
Just my $0.02 worth,
Terry T

Cholo

Staff member
Chuck 100 yd said:
I never see any used ones around these parts. I do believe the shorter barrel models command a higher price than the 6" though.
IIRC when I bought mine new back in the 70`s they were around $300 list new.

In April of '79 I paid $192, which I believe was full retail, for a 4" stainless Security Six with the heavy bbl.

It's the economy, prices settling, harder to sell, BUT,,,, just maybe those two shops bought or got the guns SO CHEAP< they are still making LOTS of money at the prices you noted.......saw one guy sell one to Gander Mntn. for UNDER $200 !!!!! and they MORE than doubled their money in a couple of days.............. :roll:

Prices also vary depending on your location. Six series guns got noticed (second time around) about 3 years ago and the prices started climbing. Now they are starting to settle a bit but a rare or collectible will command a higher price. I just got a Fixed sight Security Six, 4" bbl in almost perfect condition for $400. It will match up with my 2 3/4 bbl very nice in my display for Harrisburg 2014.

hittman

Staff member
I can't imagine what one would bring around here. Haven't seen a 6" stainless for sale locally for many, many years. Seems for an excellent condition gun-only ...... at least $400.00-plus.

Dregg

Single-Sixer
I guess I'll just buy them up and hold onto them until they go up in price again.

I currently have a 2 3/4", 4", and a 6" Security Six. I'd like to follow up with the Service six, and Speed six series.

Terry T

Buckeye
"Dregg",
Yeah, I know what you mean - that's what I said only 37 Six Series double actions ago. :oops:
"Just one more, Honey, Just one more ..." :D
Terry T

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Cholo , By golly, you are right! I was thinking of the Ruger #1`s price and not the
Security Six. I have a few #1`s from that period also.

I have in my shop a 4 digit Super BH that belongs to a friend who bought it new in the early 60`s. He paid around $70 for it new back then. He was in the Marines and bought it on post at the PX in Japan.
He took it to a local Engraving school and had the master of the school do a full job on it. It is beyond WOW!!! I am making a set of grips for it and will post pictures and the story in a few days. Chuck :D :D :D

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
Those prices sounds about right for retail. I want a staibnless 6" to go with my snub & 4" Securitys and would pay that, OTD. Not that plus tax, call-in, etc., etc. Don't see many DA Rugers around here and dang few "Six" series guns.