500 Maximum - some new perspective

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
A lot of writers and experts frown upon really heavy bullets in the 500 Linebaugh. 450 grains seems to be the prescribed max. And while they've yet to provide the "why", they've hinted at three reasons: 1) They won't stabilize and aren't as accurate as 420's – 450's, 2) They ramp pressure and even cause sporadic pressure spikes, and 3) They under-penetrate the lighter bullets. I never bought into any of this.

MaxP and I have been working with our 500 Maximums a lot this year and learned a few things. We both agree 435's are way small for the round. I equate 435's in a 500 Maximum to 158's in the 357 SuperMag. They work but you're trying to make a 'deathray' out of it with light slugs. Consider this. 435 WFNs penetrate best around 1,200 – 1,300 fps. 1,300 – 1,500 nets you nothing. Over 1,500 fps and the meplat may deform lessening performance. Sure, you can download the Maximum to 1,200 – 1,300 fps. But at that point you might as well opt for the lighter Linebaugh.

Unfortunately most published 500 Max data stops with 435's at 1,550 fps. Rarely do we get top-end loads for anything heavier. If we limit the round like this we're making the same mistake we made with the 357 Maximum. Just shoot the standard bullet but run it 200 – 300 fps faster. Flatter trajectory, yes. Added performance, no.

I consider 500 – 525 grains to be ideal for the Maximum. Take Cast Performance's 525 WFN for example. Over 38.0 grains of AA1680 it'll go 1,300 – 1,350 fps. It adds 90 grains of weight to the Linebaugh WFN and another 50 – 100 fps. Better yet, recoil is no worse than 435's at 1,500 fps. Pressure is under 35,000 PSI so we're not taxing the gun either. And then there's the accuracy potential. This group was fired at 50 yards off the best using this combination:

500MaximumTarget2.jpg

I have other 50 yard groups that print well under 3 inches. No doubt these guns and this load shoot better than I can hold. Extraction is effortless and with a hard roll crimp bullet jump isn't a problem.

Now let's talk penetration. For years we've be told the 475 Linebaugh out penetrates the 500 Linebaugh. And when you restrict the 500 to 435's that's true. The problem is the 435 handicaps the half-bore. Take a look at these three bullets. Left to right – 425 WFN 475, 435 WFN 500, 525 WFN 500:

LBTWFNs.jpg

Sectional densities are as follows;

425 WFN 475 = 0.268
435 WFN 500 = 0.238
525 WFN 500 = 0.287

The 435 just isn't long enough to wring the most of the 500. Add some sectional density and look out. Moreover, real world shooting supports this. 500 – 525 WFNs have out-bored 435's on test medium and big game alike (I'm talking very reliable, very experienced sources here). And that's from the base 500 Linebaugh. Load the same bullet in the Maximum and Thor's hammer gets juiced.

MaxP and I will be conducting penetration and accuracy tests with 525 WFNs in the Linebaugh and Maximum. Our baseline will be 420's @ 1,400 fps from the 475 and 435's at 1,250 fps from the 500L. We'll hold 525's to 1,100 fps in the Linebaugh and 1,300 – 1,350 in the Max. MaxP will also report on how they perform in field.

I'm not trying to create waves here but do believe it's time we take a harder look at the 500's (especially the Maximum). When unveiled in the early 90's it was touted as a powder hungry, bone-breaking, eyeball rattling howitzer. And if all it does is push standard 500 Linebaugh bullets 250 fps faster, what's the point? All of that downside for another 2 to 3 inches of penetration? No thanks. But again, that argument is very short sighted. Ignoring heavyweight bullets in these guns defeats the purpose. In fact, the same can be said of penning the Linebaugh to 450 or less.

So I'd like to see folks embrace 500 – 525 grains in not only the Maximum but the 500 Linebaugh too. Hopefully our tests will promote these weights. I'm sure there's a counter argument to my theory and I welcome it. Just be sure that argument is substantiated with real data.

Thanks for listening and stay tuned.

Chief 101

Hunter
I never failed to knock down a 50# steel ram at 200 meters wen hit with a 330 gr lead from a SSK molded bullet shot from a Ruger SBH. Yea, I like heavy. I do think there is a point where you can get too heavy but that needs to be determined after the testing.
guns.gif

GAR

Single-Sixer
Kind of reminds me of the debate that the 45-70 goes through. Lot's of guy's believe in the light and fast versus heavy and middle of the road.

Me, I am the one that beieves in the middle of the road with a heavy bullet.

That is why I cast heavy for caliber LBT style bullets for all my wheelguns.

Going to follow this thread closely.

Tom

steve b

Single-Sixer
We've all seen this with the .44mag. Factories only loaded to 240grs., then reloaders found out it really starts working when ya start crowding the 300gr neibhorhood. After some yrs,. now factory 300gr loads available. Lee, you are just ahead'a your time ! steve b

contender

Ruger Guru
For many years, I preferred to follow the "factory norm" when choosing bullet weights. My thinking was that they had done the testing, and had found what worked "the best". Well that was quite a few years ago, and I learned that my thinking wasn't true.
It does appear that in general, quite often heavier bullets, at modest levels in most calibers can exceed the expectations of most shooters.
Interesting thread Lee.

Lee Martin

Hunter
Thanks guys. I don't want anyone to think I only shoot monster bullets. In most calibers I use medium weights for plinking and target work (ie, 158 - 180 in 357, 215 - 230 in 41, 240 - 260 in 44).

When you get into a 500 Maximum it's all about horsepower. These guns are designed to deliver big payload from a small package. And since they're not volume revolvers, go with the bullet that delivers the most KO and penetration.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
Just from my own personal experience with the .44 and .45 colt in a Ruger I would have to say that you are on the right track. Being such a new round and being that a lot of guys just can't handle the strength has hurt it's development by handloaders. Not too many of us have the strength and tolorence that you and MaxP have but i'm glad you guys do and I'm glad you two have taken on this project and will be watching this topic as well

Latest posts