454 BRAND NEW TODAY compare with old model,,, Liking the New

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Which is the KEEPER and WHY (post reply)

• Target Gray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Clean Look

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

benchrest500

Single-Sixer
Hey All!

Just opened up a BRAND NEW 454 9 1/2 SRH and took some pics next to my OLD 454

The new ones are different and I think much more attractive

First the lettering is I'm guessing Laser cut, no more Roll marks makes for a much better appeal, not so cheap looking

And the barrel is CLEAN not a letter on it,, actually not NEAR as much scribbling on the whole gun and BEST OF ALL!!!!!

I ALWAYS HATED THAT TARGET GRAY!!!!!!!!!!

Also comes equipped with Ruger Logo Hogue TAMER Grip

looks like I have a Target Gray 9 1/2" SRH with LIGHT USE for sale!!!

By the way I have 3 more of the NEW ones for sale too,,

YES I JUST NOTICED THE SCOPE MOUNTS

As of 4-29-12 anybody that was "going to send money" you have given up your gun I gave 2 + weeks.

For those of you that got in early and CHEAP,,,, ENJOY!!

The remaining guns will be disposed of on Gun Broker. I still have consecutive sets

As you know from following this thread this is a dead item number, ONLY 30 were produced (I bought 15) and BOTH Davidsons and Ruger confirmed there will be no more.

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
What's wrong with the scope mounts?
Just set up for extreme long range I see...
Looks like a 30 MOA mount (grin)

MaxP

Buckeye
I like them both also. From the beginning, the target gray finish has been divisive. I think it is unique, and as of right now, unavailable. The gray one is the one I would personally hang on to. Better yet, keep both......

I have to get one of these now! I have the 44, 454 and the 6 shot 480. The latter two are in the target gray. I like it well enough, but I just prefer stainless.

I had to laugh when I saw the scope rings. I did the exact same thing when I scoped my 44. it took me a second to figure it out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an aside - I hope they make the 44 mag without the fluted cylinder sometime soon - I think they look a lot better without the fluting.

dleong

Bearcat
In my opinion, the Target Grey finish wins from a purely aesthetic perspective. It is, however, an incredibly weak finish that, on both my 7.5" .454 and 9.5" .480 SRHs, rubbed down to bare metal on the side of the frame where the trigger finger rested when it was outside the trigger guard. The TG finish is proprietary and there is no way to touch it up short of sending it back to Ruger for refinishing (which I did eventually do with both my SRHs, thankfully at Ruger's expense).

From a practical perspective, the new satin stainless finish wins hands down as it is easier to preserve and maintain.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Still can't wrap my mind around the looks of the SRH. They need to add a rib to the barrel to give the gun a smoother, more continuous look. Vent the rib to save a little weight and add a custom touch to the gun at the same time.
Just MHO
Sal

kelbro

Single-Sixer
I like the looks of my Target Gray SRH better than my Bisley SBH Hunter. Both look good, it's just different than all of the other stainless guns. Haven't seen any wear yet so my mind might be changed.

Blued with wood still trumps stainless/synthetic :)

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Question, Is the target gray some type of applied finish, or is it just the resulting color from some type of media blasting?
Sal

Rclark

Hunter
grey looks 'closer' to blued, so that gets my vote. I do like the 'no writing' on barrel on the bright cannon through. The grips .... well.... bad on both :) .

MaxP

Buckeye
Sal1950 said:
Question, Is the target gray some type of applied finish, or is it just the resulting color from some type of media blasting?
Sal

The finish resulted from their tumbling process and was quite accidental initially.

benchrest500

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
grey looks 'closer' to blued, so that gets my vote. I do like the 'no writing' on barrel on the bright cannon through. The grips .... well.... bad on both :) .

According to Brownell's they have a bluing formula (84) that will blue stainless steel very nicely when used in combination with their #7 as a follow up

Would be VERY interesting to have a Blued SRH

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I kind of like the target grey myself. Have one in 454 with a 7.5" barrel. I remember one of the first gun rag articles that came out reviewing the gun, and to me the target gray, combined with the picture of the gun pointed skyward in the author's hand after launching a 454 slug, just looked MENACING. Looked like a no-frills, all business hunting revolver.

I figure 20 years from now the target grey will be desirable amongst folks who collect Rugers.

benchrest500

Single-Sixer
Spoke with the distributor on these and was told quite confidently that these were a one time thing, they had 30 and no more are ever expected. Said they requested these from Ruger 2 years ago and they are a done thing now.

gruvco

Bearcat
so, what's the going price on these? how about a phone # and maybe contact person about buying one? thanks jim