45 Super Blackhawk Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Works everytime!
DSCN5847.jpg

Not a giant, but a pretty good morning. Shot him at 28 yards. Took out both lungs and he still went 157 yards.
I kind of wished I had left the scope at home as I didn't need it. But I didn't know that at the time.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I'd be interested in the load as well and any game taken with a handgun is a trophy. sure beats shooting at paper

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
25.0 gr of H110 under a 250 gr XTP HP

I've taken deer with this load the last 3 years. It has been very effective as I've recovered each of them. The longest shot was 59 yards. Clearly this bullet does not open up much. I'd rather use a wide meplat cast bullet, but I haven't found a cast load that was nearly as accurate as this one. It averages under 2" for 5 shots at 50 yards. The lungs (today's deer) were adequately damaged creating ample bleeding. But the exit hole was no larger than the entry and the blood trail was poor. Most of the blood stayed in the cavity.

Rclark

Hunter
Nice. Can't beat that!

On the bullet problem.... Did you ever check the throat dimensions on your revolver? Normally won't affect jacketed much but would impact lead bullets. Just a thought! I know on a couple of my guns, reaming to consistent .4525 shrunk the groups in half.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Rclark said:
Nice. Can't beat that!

On the bullet problem.... Did you ever check the throat dimensions on your revolver? Normally won't affect jacketed much but would impact lead bullets. Just a thought! I know on a couple of my guns, reaming to consistent .4525 shrunk the groups in half.

Thanks! Yeah, I had them reamed to 0.4525" by Cylindersmith. Thanks for the suggestion though. Also, I've slugged the barrel and found it to be 0.452 and no tight spots either. I do see some chatter in the bore. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Nowata

Single-Sixer
When you make chili, let me know!!!! Seriously, congrats on a truly nice deer!!.....I went thru 3 diffesrent brands of hard cast bullets(#powders) to find one that grouped good. The WFNGC create large wound channels and penetrate better than hollow point expanding bullets. Just give them a chance......cheaper too

Mus408

Hunter
Great shot with that SBH Hunter!! Even though mine is the .44 Mag,I really enjoy shooting it.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I appreciate all the kind words. Thanks for letting me share my experiencne. BTW, the first batch of jerky came off the dehydrator last night: pretty tasty! :mrgreen:

single action

Single-Sixer
beautiful buck, love my .44 hunter was out shooting it Friday and those hunters can be incredibly accurate for a handgun.... sa

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
Congrats Jayhawk!! That's a fine looking buck.

I hope I'm not out of line but I also killed a buck this year with a SBH Hunter in 45Colt and I'd like to add to your thread. I loaded up some Speer 300gr JSP with 22.2gr of H110.

I shot this 7 point at 50yds slightly quartering to me. The bullet entered the right front just behind the shoulder and exited out the left side mid ribs. The buck ran 100yds and fell over in sight.

As with your results I didn't have much expansion either and my exit hole was about the same as the entrance.

Here is a pic.
Monroe-20121116-00270.jpg

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Welcome to the party BigJ71! Congratulations right back! That's a fine animal and rig you have there! :wink:
That's the same scope I have on my Single Six Hunter. Yes, I do love the Hunter series.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
BigJ71 said:

I hope I'm not out of line but I also killed a buck this year with a SBH Hunter in 45Colt and I'd like to add to your thread. I loaded up some Speer 300gr JSP with 22.2gr of H110.

I shot this 7 point at 50yds slightly quartering to me. The bullet entered the right front just behind the shoulder and exited out the left side mid ribs. The buck ran 100yds and fell over in sight.

As with your results I didn't have much expansion either and my exit hole was about the same as the entrance.

Here is a pic.
nice looking buck and nice shooting I also like the way you have your .45 set up it looks very cool.
Just curious if you have ever tried cast bullets in yours? If I remember correctly Jayhawk had a terrible time with cast and his .45 and he tried about everything and his gun just does not like cast

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Bigboredad: Just for clarification, mine isn't horrible with cast. It's just not nearly as accurate as it is with jacketed. My best loads averaged 4.75" for 5 shots at 50 yards with cast bullets VS 1.9" for 5 shots at 50 yards with XTPs. All these are from a bench and scoped of course. But you are right that I've never gotten my cast bullet loads to compete with jacketed.

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys,

I only load jacketed bullets...For me they just work. I load Berry's jacketed for plinking, target shooting and fun, Speer and Hornady for hunting.

My jacketed rounds are pretty accurate (probably more that I am) out of my gun and I just don't see the need to switch to cast. Plus it's a whole lot less messy to load and clean!

With my .44 I have more jacketed manufactures to pick from but I stick to those two mainly.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
bigboredad said:
BigJ71 said:

Here is a pic.
nice looking buck and nice shooting I also like the way you have your .45 set up it looks very cool.
Just curious if you have ever tried cast bullets in yours? If I remember correctly Jayhawk had a terrible time with cast and his .45 and he tried about everything and his gun just does not like cast

i couldn't remeber for sure I just remember you had to really work at it to get that good group