44 Magnum Reloading for Revolvers and Rifle- Advice Welcomed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
I'm just getting back into reloading after taking a break for several years and I'd like some advice from you guys on reloading the .44 Magnum cartridge. I have three very different guns that I'll be shooting these reloads in and I'd really like to use the same ammo for all of them. I will be shooting these reloads in a Ruger Alaskan, Super Redhawk 9.5" barrel and a lever action 96/44.

As far as my hunting round, I think that I've found what I want to start with. That will be the Hornady XTP 300 grain over a load of H110 or W296. I'll start with the minimal load recommendation and work my way up from there to see what shoots best in my guns.

My question revolves around a good target load that I can use in each of these guns. If possible, I'd like to give a hard cast SWC 240 grain a shot, but I don't want to lead up my barrels. I'm looking for light recoil and lower cost to shoot as much as possible. So here's a few questions that I have around these loads:

1) Should I plan to use the H110 or W296 powder at the minimal recommended levels? I've read that some feel using these slower burning powders at a higher volume helps greatly in the amount of lead left in the barrels. This slower burning powder should be fine for the 9.5" RH and 96/44, but will it cause any issues in the short barrel of the Alaskan?

2) What diameter bullet should I look for to start with? I see them in .430, .431 and I believe I saw .429 as well.

3) LOL,,,, Should I give up on lead rounds all together and just shoot jacketed ammo?!

Enigma

Hunter
1. ONLY use H110/W296 at published load levels! These powders are not suitable for reduced loads per the manufacturer.

2. Slug the bores on all three guns. Size your cast bullets to fit the largest bore diameter.

3. Many of us shoot thousands of cast bullets every year with essentially zero leading. Bullet fit is king!

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Enigma said:
1. ONLY use H110/W296 at published load levels! These powders are not suitable for reduced loads per the manufacturer.

2. Slug the bores on all three guns. Size your cast bullets to fit the largest bore diameter.

3. Many of us shoot thousands of cast bullets every year with essentially zero leading. Bullet fit is king!

Thank you for the advice. I did notice that the window for the amount of H110/W296 was quite small. I just meant that I would start at the lower end of what is recommended.

I've never slugged a barrel before, but I guess that there's a first time for everything. I just did some research on it and it doesn't seem overly complicated. I just need to get the materials together to do it.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
It may be a waste of money if these don't work out, but MidwayUSA has $20 off for orders of $100 or more right now for Black Friday, so I ordered a couple of different types of lead for testing purposes. I'm thinking that the 160 grainers may be pleasant for my wife, or friends wanting to try a .44 Magnum for the first time.

240 Grain LSWC
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...?cm_cat=CheckoutConfirm&cm_pla=ProductDescrip

160 Grain LFN
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...?cm_cat=CheckoutConfirm&cm_pla=ProductDescrip

Not counting primers, powder and brass that I already have, these worked out to be $0.12 each shipped to my front door. Reloading will make shooting my .44 mags enjoyable to shoot again. I was developing a "flinch" because every time that I pulled the trigger on store bought rounds it was almost $1 heading down range. Additionally, I had the fear of if I'll be able to find more ammo to replace it!

hornady

Bearcat
Another option you may want to try are plated bullets for plinking, I have shot these in 9MM, 40S&W, and 45ACP. They are not a bad bullet for the price.
If looking for maximum savings you may want to look into casting. If you go with Lee Molds they will pay for themselves in no time. Personally I don't like anything Lee just my preference.
Components will be your biggest challenge. I am seeing more powder on the shelves at the local shops, primers are still in short supply.
In my area Red-Dot seems the most plentiful, I load my Lyman 245 Grain SWC with 6.5 grains of Red-dot, In my SBH this is a nice plinking load, cheap to shoot and not a lot of recoil.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i15011-c140-g8-b0-p0-44_429_240gr_FP___200ct.aspx

WESHOOT2

Hunter
My advice:

-use either the Federal or CCI magnum primer
-use new sized cases only during load development
-use your cylinder's throat(s) to ensure the bullets you choose pass thru with a wee bit of resistance
-use a start of 19.0g W296/H110 and the 300g XTP; use .2g increments if/when increasing charge
-finish all loads with a firm crimp using the superior Redding Profile Crimp die

6gun

Hunter
Both W296 and H110 are a exellent choice for 44mag. they are also one of a kind they are the same powder both made by Hodgdon just sold under different lables, it will not cause you any issues in a short barrel, but I would start with Min. load and work up, I use .429 or .430 both work well for me.

I use Speers and Horandys latest reloading manuals for Data as well as Hodgdon Powders web sight they have free load data there.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Great info.... I appreciate all of the advice.

Regarding the crimp. I purchased the 4 die set from Lee for 44 special and mag. Will the crimper that comes in this kit suffice for the 300 grain XTPs?

6gun

Hunter
I use RCBS dies and have never used no special crimp die just whats in the standard die, it has worked well for over 30 years so I would think what ever your Lee set has standard would do you fine.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm not an H110 guy and I don't use ball powders....so....I got zero experience with either.
On the other hand, I'm perty-dern sure that the powders the OP listed don't fit with " I'm looking for light recoil and lower cost to shoot as much as possible" . So.....with that criteria in mind, I'm guessing that he'd be much better served by switching to Unique, or atr least something simular.

A 240SWC over 7.0-7.5 Grains Unique?....looks like a time-tested solution to his delima to me.
And just for the record....A set of RCBS dies will do everything he needs done. They been doin' it for years.

Aint no rocket science involved here Folks.....
Just sayin'.

DGW

keyston44

Bearcat
Keep in mind that in the 44mag the SAAMI spec are different from rifle to handgun. 429 for handgun and 431 for rifle. When shooting cast bullets, you might run into leading problems in your rifle if shooting cast bullets smaller than 431. I personally size my 44 bullets to 433 for all my 44mag needs.

I would not use H110,296 for reduced loads. Get a faster burning powder like Unique. If it were me, I would give up on the jacketed bullets and just use cast bullets. But, that's me.

Key

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Target loads don't have to be magnum loads. Pick a medium burn rate powder like Universal, Unique, W231/HP-38, or Green or Blue Dot or similar and make up some loads around 900-1000 fps by the book. If you get leading try dropping down some more or do what I do and use copper plated bullets. (no leading) :D

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
Target loads don't have to be magnum loads. Pick a medium burn rate powder like Universal, Unique, W231/HP-38, or Green or Blue Dot or similar and make up some loads around 900-1000 fps by the book. If you get leading try dropping down some more or do what I do and use copper plated bullets. (no leading) :D

No need to drop velocity to BB gun level to address a leading problem! Fit, alloy composition and lube are what needs looking at. Cast bullets can go well above 2,000 fps without leading in rifle loads.... :wink:

BTW, from 231 to Blue Dot is a helluva spread..."medium"?!?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
BTW, from 231 to Blue Dot is a helluva spread..."medium"?!?
Anything between Bullseye to Accurate #9 could/might be considered a medium burn rate powder in my book. :D

A burn rate chart:
http://www.frfrogspad.com/burnrate.htm

Interesting article on burn rate:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/powder_burn_rate.htm
Why Powder Burn Rate Is Meaningless - By Randy Wakeman

DGW1949

Hunter
Lamplighter said:
Lamplighter said:
I don't have time to differentiate between the different types of crimps, and the other feature of the Lee FCD. It's out there for U to research .

I meant I was late for work this morning. Had to go. :oops:

No harm, no foul.....carry on. :wink: .

DGW

RugerTex

Bearcat
I'll add another +1 for 7.5g of Unique under the 240g SWC. It's a great all around load I've used for years.