44 Mag. Superblackhawk Barrels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3 Screw 44

Bearcat
Does Ruger offer different barrel lengths for these pistols. I think mine is a 7.5" and I'd like to swap it for a 4.5 to 5". Any advise would be appreciated
Thanks.

hittman

Staff member
Ruger does not but some aftermarket company might.
Welcome to the forum. (y)

trapperon

Blackhawk
The factory super blackhawk barrel lengths are 4 5/8, 5 1/2, 7 1/2 and 10 1/2
The 10.5 being a heavy bull barrel contour. Since covid ruger is not doing "elective" service work only warranty repair. Customer service advised me to continue checking back as they plan on reinstating elective services such as rebarrel and reblue jobs.
Long live the super blackhawk!
Ron

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Unless your SBK is collectible in some way as is (if so, you shouldn't mess with it anyway), I would just find a competent gunsmith to cut and recrown your barrel to your desired length. I've done it to several over the years, especially before the shorter barrel lengths became available. I think 5 or 5.5" makes a nicely balanced Super, and I have one so configured. My son seems to have laid claim to it, however.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Ebay is your friend, but you have to camp out there and buy it when you see it because many others are looking and will snatch it away if you're indecisive.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I bought a used Super Blackhawk stainless .44 Magnum with a 5 1/2" barrel and the smaller Blackhawk grip maybe 15 years back.
I fired about 1/2 a box of factory ammo and then traded it.

It handled well but the grips weren't fitted well and the grip frame to frame fit was off. Lots of sharp edges. Cost me some skin.
I thought about de-horning it and re-fitting the grip frame but decided it was too much work.

Latest posts