.44 Mag Rifle - Optic Suggestions- Updated w/ Pic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Well, I'm getting ready for season later this year and have found an ideal stand location in a nice hardwood creek bottom. It looks like my furthest shot will be ~75 yards at most.

I've taken every deer/hog I've ever shot with either a .270 or 7 mm Mag. With that being said, I see an opportunity to broaden my horizons here. I have an opportunity to pick up a 96/44 that has only been shot three times for a great deal.

I really like the idea of the .44 mag rifle because it would share the same ammo as my .44 SRH. I may even take both guns to the stand with me in case I get the opportunity to take a deer with my handgun.

Anyhow, what do you recommend for optics on a .44 Mag rifle? I have nice red dot scopes and nice fixed power 4x scopes that I feel either would work. The red dot would give me quick target acquisition while the 4x scope would give me a monocular to look at the horns with prior to shooting. I would really appreciate your view on the matter as well.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I think you have it covered pretty well with the two you mentioned. I had a 4x on my 77/44 and it worked good but close up work especially if it is a moving target was tough. I am going to be putting on a 1.5-5x for this next season and that should be a better option for the type of hunting one does with a 44 rifle.

Jeff

hammie

Single-Sixer
I have a weaver 1 - 3 X on my .35 remington and it is perfect for my typical range application for that cartridge. I think that variable scope range would work for a .44 Rem mag, also. Midway has weavers available for 170$.

The only thing disturbing about your post is that I've been looking for a ruger 96, and you found one, and I haven't yet. (LOL). I wish ruger had made them in .357.

wwb

Hunter
If you're going with a fixed power, I'd recommend a 2.5X.

For a variable, a 1-3X, a 1.5-4.5X, or a 2-7X set as low as it goes. If you see one way out there and standing still, you can always crank it up.

A 3-9X, even set at 3X, is really too much for a moving target if it's in close.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the advice! I certainly see where you are coming from regarding getting down to the 1-2x. I will look into Weaver mentioned above. I've heard good things about them, but haven't used them personally.

Where I'll be hunting definitely has a fair amount of hogs. I can see significant advantage in being able to quickly acquire them for multiple shot opportunities.

Have any of you tried a red dot on yours? I was considering taking the camo Aimpoint off of my SRH (can be seen in my profile pic) and putting it on this gun.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I put a Leupold VX-I 1-4x20mm shotgun scope with the "Turkey Plex" reticle on my 77/44, and really like the scope. It's like a red dot without the dot, just a circle in the middle. Very compact and accurate, and the parallax is set for 75 yards, just as you want.

-- Sam

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Swift makes a nice 1.5 to 5X - very clear and only about $100.00. The Weaver is of course a really good choice, Burris Fullfield II in 2 to 7X costs about $150.00 at Grafs. I have a Burris Timberline 4X on my Deerfield.

Fenring

Bearcat
Got a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4X32 on my 96/44, in low mounts. Rifle is used for pigs. I find it works well - low power for scrub use, 4x for longer shots and identifying if that dark shape in the grass is a stump or a hawg... :)

geeman1969

Bearcat
My glass might be a bit older Bushnell Scopechief 2 at 2.5-7 x 32 low mounts.

Perfectly acceptable from 0 - 100 yds which I feel is the effective range of the round. With a bit of speed they can go pretty flat over the 100.

So I speed mine up and keep the cross hairs dead on and thats all she wrote.

The 96 is my favorite gun I own atm and its my go to gun for the type of country I go out shooting in as it covers the full range of animals the habitate there from Rabbits (messy) to Hogs (sometimes just as messy)

buck460XVR

Bearcat
2X7X32 Nikon on my 77/44. Most of the time it's turned down all the way, but the higher power is nice for checkin' horn and at the range.

PJR

Bearcat
My 77/44 currently has a Leupold Vari-XII 1x-4x on it. I also have a barrel-mounted Skinner apeture site that I use as backup.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
I really like Leupold scopes so I'm going to take a look at the 1-4x..... Out of curiosity, how good do these scopes gather light in low light situations?

I know my Leupold scopes on my other rifles definitely extend my hunting times, but none of them are less than 40mm objectives.

Thank you all for the advice!

wwb

Hunter
The bigger the objective, the more light it gathers.... but at lower magnification, you can get by with a smaller objective.

The kicker with the 96/44 is that the stock is designed for iron sight use, and any scope with an objective bell is going to be mounted too high for a good cheek weld.... even a scope with no bell, mounted with Ruger's lowest rings, is less than ideal.

You can get either a lace-on pad or a stick-on pad to raise the comb. Ugly as sin, but they work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=144343

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=ik-220711

hammie

Single-Sixer
@great outdoorsman: I hope we're not beating this to death, but many of the above responses got me to thinking; the problem I always have when hunting in brush is that I don't lose the animal, but instead I lose the crosshairs. Even a thick post type reticle gets lost for me. I also have a 1-5 x bushnell 3200 with a "firefly" reticle, which glows for hours after shining a light on it. It works great in brush. However, I don't think those are being made anymore and so that doesn't help you. Then I noticed that many lower powered variables offer the option of an illuminated reticle. I've never seen or used one of those, but it sounds like that may be ideal for brush/low light situations.

Anyway to get to the point: Has anyone here used a scope with an illuminated reticle? Do you like their performance, etc? How would you rate them?

ClintV

Single-Sixer
I have a Leupold VX-II 1-4 Shotgun on my .44, it has the heavy plex, and I love it. (Also have the heavy plex on my .308 and .300 WSM Kimbers, they are alot easier to see in fading light)

It's short, light, and mounts low enough to get a good cheek weld but still clear the bolt handle (barely....it's on a 77-44) And it just looks RIGHT on these little carbines. Everything seems to be in proportion.

I've tried the red dots and personally don't like them. They never seems to be the right intensity when you need them, either too bright in low light, or not enough in bright light, and they have no option for magnification, which may not seem like it's needed with a .44 but comes in handy when you are trying to poke a pig in the ear at 75 yards. :wink:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
GR8_Outdoorsman said:
Anyhow, what do you recommend for optics on a .44 Mag rifle? I have nice red dot scopes and nice fixed power 4x scopes that I feel either would work. The red dot would give me quick target acquisition while the 4x scope would give me a monocular to look at the horns with prior to shooting. I would really appreciate your view on the matter as well.
I am not a hunter, just a target shooter right now, but I think from a hunting stand I would definitely go with a 4X scope. That would seem perfect to me. I have an inexpensive Bushnell Banner 4 x 32 shotgun scope on mine and it is fast on 50 yard targets. 8) 8)

Aug10_03.jpg

...Jimbo

geeman1969

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
GR8_Outdoorsman said:
I am not a hunter, just a target shooter right now, but I think from a hunting stand I would definitely go with a 4X scope. That would seem perfect to me. I have an inexpensive Bushnell Banner 4 x 32 shotgun scope on mine and it is fast on 50 yard targets. 8) 8)

Aug10_03.jpg

...Jimbo

Mines about identical to Jimbo's except the custom double end magazine!

P1010137Small.jpg

and the magazine!

tacRuger44004.jpg

Great combo obviously ;)

Latest posts