358 Winchester Ramshot TAC Loads???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ryanc.ross

Blackhawk
John Barssness wrote an article in the August of 09 Issue of Handloader magazine claiming phenomenal accuracy and velocity using this powder. Does anyone have the data? What pressure and C.O.L was he using? What gun and barrel length? Reason being, I have a mid 50's Savage 99 in 358 Win and am wanting some load data other than what Hodgdon has. I appreciate all the responses.

Ryan

06ackley

Single-Sixer
The Tac data he used was for strong bolt actions only as it is loaded to the same pressure as the 338 federal.I load it for my Hawkeye and it is very accurate and I pushed a 200gr Accubond over 2700fps.I used that load for a black bear and it worked extremely well.I would not use it in your 99.Your very lucky to have that,i would like a 99 also but they are too much money for me.If you like I could dig out the data but like I said would not use it in the 99.

ryanc.ross

Blackhawk
I would actually love to see that data. That way I can decide if it may be worth pursuing that powder to shoot reduced loads:) Thanks for the time and the compliment about the 99. I love it, 1957 manufacture, first year factory drilled and tapped. 24 inch tapered barrel, pistol grip, schnabel forearm. 358 is a splendid cartridge!!!

Ryan

06ackley

Single-Sixer
The article does not list starting loads only where he stopped.Barnes 200gr tsx 52gr,225 sierra game king 49gr,250gr nos part or hornady round nose 48gr. Velocities were 2749fps,2550fps and 2420fps.Like I said it is hot and definitely would not risk that awesome rifle you have with those loads.I used 51gr under a 200 gr accubond and a 200gr barnes ttsx in the ruger hawkeye and it is very accurate.Actually my rifle has impressed me with everything I have put through it.Take care of that old beauty you got and enjoy it.

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
I've not tried the TAC as I haven't been able to find any for the past two years that I've owned my BLR '81 w/steel reciever.
With AA2520 I got so-so accuracy.
H4895 is what my rifle really likes. I went as high as 49.0gr with light resistance on extraction. 48.0 was just right and is most accurate load for my rifle. Gives 2,520fps with Hornady 200gr PtSpt at 2.825" oal. It's seated to just before the cannulure on the Hornady bullet. My rifle has a looong throat.
I also tried IMR3031 but didn't see the velocities suggested and accuracy was mediocre also.
btw; I'm using Winchester reformed .308win brass.
My only complaint is the rifles tremendous creep in the trigger.

I'm with the others regarding the '99. I don't think you'll see the velocities they got without locking up the action. 2,500fps with a 200gr bullet isn't tossing nerf balls.

I'm hoping to find some Sierra 225's to play with. I'm hoping that with the H4895 that I get 2,400fps and good accuracy.

I've got other rifles if I need something with longer reach....

Biggs300

Bearcat
I reload and use 225 grain Partitions over a charge of 45.5 grains of TAC in my Ruger M77. This was the charge that gave me the most consistent groups with no signs of pressure. Before I began, I did email Ramshot and here was their response:

Tom,
We suggest the following.
Caliber: .358 Winchester.
Barrel length: 24"
Powder: Ramshot – X-Terminator®. (1st Choice)
Bullet weight: 225 grains.
Start load: 41.0 grains (ca 2100 Fps)
Maximum load: 44.5 grains (ca 2400 Fps).

Powder: Ramshot – TAC®.
Bullet weight: 225 grains.
Start load: 41.4 grains (ca 2050 Fps)
Maximum load: 46.0 grains (ca 2400 Fps) LD ca 106%.
NOTES:
It' important to note that SAFETY is our prime concern therefore we strongly recommend.
1. ALWAYS BEGIN LOADING AT THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM "START" LOAD and develop loads in 2% increments towards the MAXIMUM load.
2. If possible, measure the velocity and correlate with our data.

Regards
Johan Loubser
Senior-Ballistician

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
Biggs; what kind of expansion/bullet performance are you getting with the 225gr Nosler Part. I've heard that it dosen't do too well in the .358win as velocities drop below 1,900fps threshold around 200yds ?
If that's the case, you're better off with the Hornady 225 or the 200gr or 225gr Accubonds.