Hawkeye
You can get that model in either .45ACP or the .357 Sig with an MSRP
of $1242.

Since I don't have any others that fire the .357 Sig, I'd probably stick with
the .45ACP. Good to know that there are choices. :D

cas6969

Buckeye
Took em a while. They can be fussy.

While I kind of like the 357 SIG and owned 2 briefly, I don't think I'd be interested. For the same reason I let the other two go, great with factory ammo, especially if someone else is providing it. But I didn't like loading it myself. Much easier to crank out non bottle neck cartridges in mass.

However, I have long wanted a 1911 in 9x23. I don't know what I'd do with it... nothing probably, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming and scheming. :D

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have had thoughts about fitting a .357 Sig barrel to my 10mm. Maybe after I retire.

loaded round

Hunter
I've been reloading the 357 Sig now for a month on my Dillon 550B with Dillon Carbide dies. After getting all 4 dies adjusted correctly, I've had no problems loading a bottle necked case anymore than loading my 9 MM's or 45'S. If you can load a 308 or 270 rifle cartridges you load the 357 Sig.

loaded round

Hunter
Why not consider a drop in barrel for the 9x25 Dillon. That's a 10mm case necked down to 9mm. BarSto (sp) and others make barrels, and Dillon makes the dies. Something I plan on doing some day.

dakota1911 said:
I have had thoughts about fitting a .357 Sig barrel to my 10mm. Maybe after I retire.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Don Lovel said:
9 x 25 Dillon with 147gr bullets is pretty powerful
So is a 10mm . . . . . also easier to get.

UPDATE:
Made a run today around the Denver area and .357Sig is ammo that
IS REALLY HARD TO FIND, unless you are willing to pay almost $1
per round.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Caliber is a shooter's choice, in any case.

What I find questionable - is the marketing decision to name your product a "NIGHTMARE". Just seems to be an opportunity for perception issue and/or media antics. Reminds me of naming a new car a "Gremlin".
Sooner or later there's a round of facepalms in the boardroom...

Bret

Bearcat
cas said:
However, I have long wanted a 1911 in 9x23. I don't know what I'd do with it... nothing probably, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming and scheming. :D
It seems to me that 9x23 would be a more appropriate choice for the 1911 given that the magazine well can handle the additional length. I converted a 9mm Witness to 9x23, so I'd imagine that converting a 9mm 1911 to 9x23 wouldn't be that difficult. I'm thinking that reaming the barrel (or a new barrel), a heavier recoil spring and a new magazine would be all that's required. Perhaps a different guide rod setup, but I don't know. It's definitely on my agenda.

chowser51

Bearcat
I've been waiting for a commander sized model from SIG. Sadly they don't offer the 357 1911s under the IOP and who knows when a smaller gun will come out.

Most of my guns are 357. Love it.
In 2008 I switched my department over to 357 to support my habit.

Bret

Bearcat
From a terminal ballistics standpoint, the 357Sig is clearly superior to 9mm. However, when it comes to only having $X to spend on ammunition, I'm not sure it's the best choice. Would you rather have the best terminal ballistics or give the officers more time on the range? It might come down to what the $X budget is. 40S&W might be a good compromise.

loaded round

Hunter
I know of several police departments that have reloading setups in their stations to load practice ammo and I actually set up a Dillon 650 for a local department near me and instructed two training officers how to use their Dillon.

Bret said:
I agree, but that's not really an option for a police department.

chowser51

Bearcat
We don't have time or people to spare for reloading. It's do more with less people.
No one will volunteer their time to do it.
I just buy 15 cases of FMJ every year and hope it lasts.
As it is we don't have time to train. So the few of us that do after shift don't use up that much ammo.
All our brass gets dumped to a local recycling place. It's not much but it's better than nothing if we just throw it away.