.357 self defense ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OldePhart

Blackhawk
It depends a great deal on what you're shooting it from. Long barrel vs snubby, etc.

The bottom line is that all of the name-brand defensive rounds are pretty darned good. It boils down to trying a few until you find one that shoots in YOUR carry weapon with reasonable accuracy and hopefully without excessive recoil/flash/bang. I'm partial to Gold Dot 158gr GDHP for my 3" SP-101 - although there is more flash/bang from the short barrel than would be my preference. I'd also like to try the 158gr Federal HST but it's hard to find. In 9mm the 147gr +P HST works really well from my Glock 26.

rjwinz

Bearcat
I doubt any LE agency is testing .357 loads these days. Of the amateur testers on YouTube I like tnoutdoors9. There are some other good ones but they haven't tested any .357.

I recall he tested some non-premium Remington 125 grain SJHP's and they did surprisingly well. Those less than premium loads seem to do better in .357 than in the pistol calibers. Years back the premier .357 round was the old Federal No. 9, a 125 grain SJHP doing 1450 fps. That was a long time ago though.

Edit: That old Federal round was a major blaster, lots of flash.

GP100man

Buckeye
Ammo you can shoot DA fast & hit what you`re shooting at & as stated earlier low flash.

If you ever get a chance to shoot in the dark (safely of course) 1 or 2 shots is all ya gonna be able to get off accurately unless the wind blows the smoke away or you move to the side (which probably isn't a bad thing if 2 legged critter is shootin back) I`ve found a good light held down by my side didn't light up the smoke so bad.

4.5gr. of reddot behind a wadcutter or 158 swc works for me .

At 21ft. I point shoot , 1 handed & light in the other at a flat black 55 gal drum 2 ft off the ground. I feel this is more realistic than anything I`ve tried .

The other night I shot a possum 12ft point shooting with my sp101 & light .

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. Like I said don't know that much about the .357. I just picked up a 4" Security Six the other day and thought I would at least pick up a box of something for the night stand. I want to use it as a woods gun mostly. Not exactly sure what I will load for that either.

dougader

Hunter
I still have some of the old Federal 125 jhp ammo, but when the 357 is near the night stand it's loaded with the 145 grain Winchester Silvertip ammo.

I have a SP-101 with a 3 inch barrel. When using it for both woods and urban carry I settled on Remington's green box 125gr JSP for its excellent penetration, plus good expansion characteristics. I have used a variety of 125 gr JHP for urban carry. 158 gr LSWC over 13.5 grs 2400 for woods carry. Work up for your gun.
gramps

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
My choice; Federal Premium Personal Defense Reduced Recoil Ammunition 357 Magnum 130 Grain Hydra-Shok Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/203065

I don't shoot many but this is what I carry and what I have loaded for home protection.

flyingron

Bearcat
For revolvers that are relatively short barreled (4" or less), I actually like the Hornaday Critical Defense. I use the Winchester PDX1 in the autos, though I'm considering the Critical Duty.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
You might do a little comparison shopping with the big brands:

Underwood: http://www.underwoodammo.com/

Georgia Arms: http://georgia-arms.com/ ( mostly Reman, unless stated as New)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Don't forget to practice with cheaper ammo that shoots to about the same point of aim but which costs much less than what you are going to carry. I have practiced with Mag Tech 357 ammo and it is both cheap and pretty good, as far as store bought ammo goes. :D

GP100man

Buckeye
YES , as we all know shooting is expensive!!!!

Reloading will stretch your shooting dollar if you`re willin to put in the time.

Lee products are decent tools for the money, If I were to be lookin to get into reloading 1 caliber with additions later the Challenger kit looks attractive, a sturdy (all be it aluminum) press ,breechlock not really nessacary (bushings to buy for each die)
A serviceable beam scale (kinda touchy)&powder measure.

One other tool I`d recommend for straight walled revolver ammo is a way to trim cases to a consistent length, again Lee has good ways of doing this, the new trimming die looks like the way to go .

A good starter kit in my opinion, you can add/replace tools as ya need or like as needed.

But it`s not all about saving money (you probably won`t save a dime but shoot a lot more) it`s as 57K posted ,tailoring ammo to your personal/or firearms needs. Where else ya gonna find 357mag wadcutters going 750fps or 175gr swc loads???

GP

pps

Single-Sixer
Here are some results with the Underwood .357 ammo (125 grain Hornady XTP) out of a 5" barrel and fired into rubber mulch. It's not ballistics gel but it's a cheap media to test in.

IMG_4696_zps3c84c8d0.jpg

Here is that same ammo from an 18" Marlin (2275fps impact velocity) Penetrated only 12 inches but blew up and fragmented delightfully.

IMG_4705_zps5a3a0371.jpg

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Don't stress over it or over think this. For a nightstand gun, anything in 38 caliber or 357 magnum will take care of your problem. Barrel length doesn't matter. Brand, weight, etc... doesn't matter. It's a 357 at close range!

DGW1949

Hunter
"Re: .357 self defense ammo"....

The old PD stand by, Remington 125 JHP load still works just as good as it ever did.
Down is down, and dead is dead.....just sayin'.

DGW