.327 SP101 PERFECT?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
Just got thru reading the tread about how great the Single Six .32 H&R Mag is - got a pair of them for my wife years ago - if it is so great, then the SP101 chambered for .327 is the BEST EVER!!!!

It is my understanding that you can shoot all of the .32s in a .327. What more would a man or woman want?

I guess they would want one in single action!

Do we now have the so called "best of everything" in the SP101 .327?

Chime in pros.
RayG

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
I owned one of the early .327 SP101's to come out of Ruger. The gun had a lot of problems. I got rid of it and bought a SP101 in .32 magnum. It is a good little gun. But I still prefer my single-six's in .32 magnum over the SP101.

well I just bought one, so they must be the best!
Some Pictures are in the gallery section... I said it over there, but the gun feels really good in hand.

jazzman

Single-Sixer
I thought so also that is why I bought one. Liked it so much I went back a few months later and picked up the blackhawk. I like it also. Good choice, congatulations on your purchase.

Jazzman

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Well, my opinion only, but...

Perfection in a firearm isn't measured by cartridge chambering alone.

So far, the .327 Federal Mag hasn't been commercially chambered in a firearm I "just can't resist".

A single action .327 was a great idea, but if I can buy the same sized/same framed gun in .45 Colt, .44 mag, .357 mag, .41 mag, and so forth, then I'd likely choose the larger chambering.

Why? Because if I'm going to carry the weight, I might as well carry the power, too. Recoil is largely a non-issue for me, and I can't remember ever being in a situation where 6 wasn't enough, and 8 might have made a difference.

The .32 H&R in a full sized Blackhawk wouldn't be attractive to me, and the .327 mag isn't, either. 48 ounces is a lot of weight for a small(er) game cartridge when there are so many .38 caliber revolvers available that are easier to carry, easier to buy ammo for, and cheaper to shoot.

The .327 in a Single Six once seemed like a great idea, but I'm not sure any more. The .32 H&R is getting more and more to where it just "seems right", and I really like mine. To be honest, I can't think of a single thing I'd hunt with a .327 that I would feel undergunned hunting with a .32 H&R.

For me, it makes a nice little package for general packing and shooting needs. When I'm in more remote country, I carry something bigger, but the little Single Six is sure easy to carry, and does the job nicely.

But I'm a practical sort of fellar, so don't pay too much attention to what I say.

Daryl

jazzman

Single-Sixer
Daryl, you are right, the 327 blackhawk isn't very practical for hunting and larger calibers would be a better choice for most things but I bought it for the fun aspect of it. I just think it makes for an enjoyable time at the range and I appreciate the non recoil of the caliber plus the low cost of reloading for it. I have a sp101 in both 357 and 327 to choose from when I want to carry a revolver but the Blackhawk in 327 makes for a fun time at the range.

Jazzman

maxpress

Buckeye
i have been whining for a SS .327 since the cartridge came out.

ill say it again : a .22 size hangun with the energy of a .357 woooohoooo!!!

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
Let's keep this going!!!!!! I love it!!

Is the SP101 larger than the single six? I must say, I have never seen them side by side.

RayG

I have both sp101in 327 and 32 H&R. Both are great shooters. The great thing on the 327 is you can shoot both in it.
The Blackhawk is a great target gun in 327, but ammo is hard to find still around here. Still shoot alot of 32 H&R in it.
For Conceal carry the sp101 is great. The only thing better would be the LCR in 327. I firgure with the 357 just released, the 327 is next.

gak

Buckeye
I'll be one to say yes to the OP's postulation--but I divide "best" into two groups--single and double action. Their (DA vs SA) operation and missions are too different to pick one "best" between them. I have thought from the get-go that a .327 Single Six would be the bees knees. I've got the H&R SS and having it in (or converted to) .327 to me would just be more of a good thing. Until the .327 came along, I said that the single six was the perfect chassis for the 32 H&R --no better marriage out there. Now, I would think the same of the .327. Ditto the SP101, the perfect pairing of chassis and cartridge. Just that much more heft that's appreciated with the .327's greater oomph, where the chassis seems a bit overkill for the little H&R. Instead, I have a J Smith Airweight in the latter, and that's perfect DA chassis (with CCW in mind) for that round. Now, with a steel J available--cost aside--it might be hard to choose between it and the SP101, but I think I's still lean toward the SP101's extra heft.

With the .357 SP101, I'm left thinking a) where's the extra round (knowing it can carry only 5, but still...) and b). a 3" K frame is a better, more natural pairing. That said, even though capacity-challenged, if primary duty was for CC, the .357 SP101 would have an edge in concealability versus even a short K--that's the whole idea. Hmmm...Then again, an SP101 in .327 instead would be even better! You're right,... perfect!

Yep. Pretty close to perfect, except for the .327 part.

Loaded down, a .38 Spl will do anything a .32 will do, but do it better.

Loaded up, a .357 will do anything a .327 will do, and a whole lot more.

I can go into any store right now, and buy .38 or .357 ammo.

And, if I even knew where to find .327 ammo, which I truly don't, it'll cost much more than .357 ammo.

Just another persons opinion. :wink:

WAYNO.

gak

Buckeye
Back +1 with the OP again--I still say perfect marriage of a cartridge and gun if there ever was one. Like the SS H&R (and hypothetically a SS .327), like they're made for each other. As if "what the designers had in mind" when they first conceived the gun - for the optimal cartridge/gun pairing. Full 6 loaded with +P or even +P+ levels with better follow-up than .357, what's not to like - for 9/10 occasions?

If I absolutely need .357--which I'll concede for that 10th shot (talking SD, not hunting, here)--I'll take my 65LS (Lady Smith, best of the bunch IMO) and not be giving up that much CCW'ability. I'll concede there are times--mountain lion attack while jogging, where that "10th shot" is actually your first, is all you've got and there is no "follow up." In this specific instance, you don't want to be lugging around a K and that's where the SP101 in .357 would "shine." But in that (jogging) instance--if it's only one shot--I might as well be carrying a Model 60 then and save some additional size and weight!

I will also concede the ammo availability issue--a travesty. Ruger/Federal, are you listening? Both need to step up to the plate and support the products and enthusiasts they've created.

revhigh

Hawkeye
WAYNO":1jkrxb77 said:
Yep. Pretty close to perfect, except for the .327 part.

Loaded down, a .38 Spl will do anything a .32 will do, but do it better.

Loaded up, a .357 will do anything a .327 will do, and a whole lot more.

I can go into any store right now, and buy .38 or .357 ammo.

And, if I even knew where to find .327 ammo, which I truly don't, it'll cost much more than .357 ammo.

Just another persons opinion. :wink:

WAYNO.

Oooooh WAYNO .... I'd get out your flame suit !!!

For the record I completely agree .... 2 years from now it won't even be in the catalog.

327 ... An answer for a question that NOBODY asked ...

REV

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
jazzman":2dt5mbym said:
Daryl, you are right, the 327 blackhawk isn't very practical for hunting and larger calibers would be a better choice for most things but I bought it for the fun aspect of it. I just think it makes for an enjoyable time at the range and I appreciate the non recoil of the caliber plus the low cost of reloading for it. I have a sp101 in both 357 and 327 to choose from when I want to carry a revolver but the Blackhawk in 327 makes for a fun time at the range.

Jazzman

You are exactly right, and we each have our reasons for the firearms we own and shoot.

A "fun gun" is good to have.

I tend to look at things from a practical standpoint. If I have a .327 BH, and my .32 H&R Single Six, I'd grab the Single Six every time for bummin' around the desert.

For going to the range, I'd probably choose the bigger one, "just for fun".

:)

Daryl

gak

Buckeye
revhigh":1sd09pol said:
For the record I completely agree .... 2 years from now it won't even be in the catalog.

327 ... An answer for a question that NOBODY asked.

REV

----
You're confusing lousy support with the technical "goodness" of a package IM0. A 6 Round "snub" with the capabilities you need most of the time out of a .38/.357, with better follow-up, and doubles (better) as a small game getter. Not bad at all. I'd say a lot of people have been asking for a 6 round "powerful" snub-like package. Nothing else out there save for the new(ish) Rossi snub, or the long-discontined Colt D-frames--that fits that bill. Ruger's answer was that they weren't comfortable cramming six .357-sized holes in a "J+" frame. Wa la. Pretty good, I say.

Btw, for those that'd argue, ultimately, the additional "power" of the .357 round vs .327, I'd carry mostly +Ps in any snub anyway, including my K-Smith, for most SD.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
hr2lrn":mnsw4yf8 said:
Let's keep this going!!!!!! I love it!!

Is the SP101 larger than the single six? I must say, I have never seen them side by side.

RayG

They're different, and designed for different purposes.

The sp-101 has a shorter barrel, and is designed for SD. It's sized for concealed carry, if a bit heavy for it, and is double action.

The Single Six is designed for shooting, packing, and hunting. It comes in longer barrel lengths, and is not as easily concealed (although it could be, I'm sure). Being single action, it's not really designed around "modern day" SD purposes.

The Single Six is undoubtedly "larger" with the longer barrel lengths. I'm not sure which is heavier because the SP-101 has a pretty beefy frame designed for .357 mag pressures.

And if I buy an SP, it would have to be a .357 mag.

Daryl

maxpress

Buckeye
the SS is 33oz in the .32 stainless birdshead. the SP101 is 28oz. the frame on the SS is much more svelt and compact with fixed sights as far as a carry piece. the grips are totally different being that one is a single action vs. DA. if i was going to the badlands and had to choose between those 2 i would grab the SP but i would opt for many others in my safe before that. for small game, bumming around the woods, and going to the range it would be the SS.