327 Federal in Buckeye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

USARO4

Bearcat
Will the 327 Fed Magnum chamber and fire in a Ruger Buckeye Special Edition chambered for 32 H&R Magnum? Both rounds headspace on the rim and the Buckeye should be plenty strong enough to handle it.

Papa

Bearcat
Yep, not only will it fit, but you have plenty of room for extra long bullets as well. Below is a picture of the one I hunt with and I took this deer with mine when it first came out....

100_2916.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/MikeCole/327 Deer/

Papa

Bearcat
2dogs is right about that. I meant that it will fit in the length of the cylinder, but of course will have to be chased out to 327 with a reamer.

Thanks Fermin :)

USARO4

Bearcat
Papa , what do you mean "chased out" I thought the H&R mag and the Fed mag were the same dimensions except for length? By the way where are you located in Nashville? I live just north of you in Coopertown.

Papa

Bearcat
What I mean by chased out is that it's the same diameter chamber but longer, so a reamer is used to chase out the shoulder of the cartridge length to the 327 specs. By shoulder I mean where the case diameter meets the bullet diameter. It can be done on a cylinder long enough for the OAL of the cartridge like the Buckeye has to offer. The single six is too short of course and requires a whole new cylinder and fitting. Same difference as the 38 Special and 357. The Buckeye cylinder is long enough to accommodate both cartridges provided it has been reamed to the longest one.

I live in the Mt. Juliet area east of Nashville.