32 H&R Magnum for self defense-- Advice needed.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DakotaElkSlayer

Bearcat
Years ago, Flatgate and others gave me some great advice/loads for my Single Six in 32 H&R Mag. So I am used to hot-roddin' that revolver with stout loads of H-110, small rifle primers, and 115gr. cast. Well, my wife wanted me to get something for concealed carry. So with blessings, I bought a dandy SP101 in 32 H&R Magnum with a 3" barrel.
Need help, tips, and advice on loading for self defense. The only thing I could find was 85gr XTPs and 115gr Gold Dots. I opted for the XTP's to start off with since I wasn't sure how the Gold Dots(designed for the .327) would perform at slightly slower speeds. So I have some XTP's loaded up with 10.9gr of H110 to test, but was wondering what should I be trying to achieve for these loads? Would a more pedestrian 1,100 fps have better terminal performance, or would a HOT LOAD?
Listening for ANY input...

Jim

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I just don't equate CC with necessarily the hottest load possible, 3" barrel to boot. If it was me I'd go with a medium burn rate handgun powder & 'upper-mid loads'. Doesn't sound like the wife will share this gun? If so that could also be a factor.

DGW1949

Hunter
"What am I trying to achieve with these loads?".....
All I got to say is that if one wants "magnum" performance, one must use a "magnum" load. Anything less than that is....well, it's less.
Now I don't know about you, but what that tells me is that if I was going to trust the life of me and mine to a .32-snubby, I'd want to load it to the hotter end of the scale...just sayin'.
As to the never ending debate on lighter/faster VS heavier/slower, I'm a heavier/slower type of guy regardless of what cartridge I'm working with.

That's just my opinion...and probably worth about what you paid for it.

DGW

stevemb

Hunter
I wouldn't count out the heavier Gold Dot until you call the folks at Speer up and ask'em what the minimum velocity for reliable expansion is. stevemb

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Hornady XTP's have a wide velocity window, they expand well at speeds below 1000 fps and can normally be pushed well above 1400 fps and hold together quite well.

I like to use factory made ammo for my SD guns but I make clones for practice and fun. I really work hard at getting those loads as close to factory as possible, that includes OAL, crimp style and if I can, a powder match or at least burn rate that gets the recoil feel just right. I really like Hornady's factory ammo and because of this I reload using their bullets for my clones. Hornady has a .32 H&R in their critical defense line of ammo using a 80gr FTX bullet, it's listed as pushing 1150 fps at the muzzle but I've found their handgun ammo always runs about 50 fps faster than advertised.

Here's is a link to Hornady video of this new round: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBOiDKviCQ&feature=player_embedded

Some of my 9mm Hornady clones.

My .45 loads using some 200 gr XTP's that I got from my friend Dixieboy.

DakotaElkSlayer

Bearcat
Well, my first shot chrono'd at 1087fps which was lower than I had anticipated. Second shot didn't register, and the third shot was driven THROUGH the LCD screen of my chronograph! At least I now know that it is plenty fast enough to punch through 20 gauge steel, no problem! Lots of fun to shoot, accurate, and my small eight-year-old shot it six times, even hitting the pop can once.
Got a reply from Speer...the 115gr Gold Dot was designed to open at speeds as low at 900fps. Might pick some up next time I see them.

Jim

dougader

Hunter
I run 100 grain xtp's with 11.8 grains WW296 and CCI 550 primers. That's a max load for the 32 HRM Brian Pearce listed in a Handloader article some time back. It zips along good and blows up water jugs well to boot. I shoot these from a Single Six.

DGW1949

Hunter
DakotaElkSlayer said:
Well, my first shot chrono'd at 1087fps which was lower than I had anticipated. Second shot didn't register, and the third shot was driven THROUGH the LCD screen of my chronograph! At least I now know that it is plenty fast enough to punch through 20 gauge steel, no problem! Lots of fun to shoot, accurate, and my small eight-year-old shot it six times, even hitting the pop can once.
Got a reply from Speer...the 115gr Gold Dot was designed to open at speeds as low at 900fps. Might pick some up next time I see them.

Jim

As a practical matter, it seems that you've not yet reached the paper-ballistics of a common .380 "performance" load...which itself is a rather iffy fight stopper.
Gently suggesting that more load development is in order.

It did my heart good to read that you were shooting with your young son...congrats!
Sorry that you shot your chrony, but don't despair....you aint the first guy that's done that.

DGW

stevemb

Hunter
Sorry, can't help ya with the chrony screen. Can't find a recipe. stevemb

dougader

Hunter
In the lighter bullets of 85 - 90 grains, i.e., your 85 grain xtp and the Sierra 90 grain jhp that I have been loading, I haven't found that H110/W296 is the optimal powder. I haven't proven my thoughts, but I think Unique, Power Pistol or Longshot would get you better velocity with the lighter bullets. I switched to Blue Dot, just because I have some on hand.

Similar to what you started with, I took the data from Speer 14 for their 100 grain jhp and loaded 10.9 grains 296 under the Sierra 90 jhp with a CCI 550 primer . It was ok, but not great; it got about 1120 fps in a 4-5/8" single six. It was closer to 998 fps from a 1-7/8" S&W 431 PD.

I stopped there with the 90 gr jhp and loaded up the 100 grain xtp's after that and have been happy with those.

My single six has since been chopped to 3-3/4" by Alan Harton and so the velocity is a bit less now. IIRC I got 1167 fps with the 100 gr XTP and 11.6 grains of W296. That's about 302 ft lbs. of muzzle energy if my math is correct.

DakotaElkSlayer

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies, guys. Never owning a CCW gun before, I wasn't ready to see the drastic reduction in velocity with the 3" barrel. Tried some Lil'Gun last week and the difference between the SP101 w/ 3" barrel and the SS with 4.75" barrel was getting close to 200fps. Quickly lost my urge to buy a little Smith AirLite...
Absolutely love the little SP....shoots very well.

Jim

DakotaElkSlayer

Bearcat
Ya, old thread, but new chrony and a new year... This morning shot loads with the 100gr XTP using srp and smrp. The small rifle primers was good for roughly an additional 100fps and the hottest loads shot today at 1166fps out of the 3" SPS, 1257fps out of the 4-5/8 SS, and 1351fps out of the 6.5 SS. Using Lil'gun and srp, got up to 1254fps out of the sps, 1298fps out of the 4-5/8, and 1432fps out of the 6.5. Extraction easy on all loads and no pressure signs visible. Velocities between charge weights and barrel length were linear/predictable. Thinking the 1254fps load has plenty of speed...going to work up some of that load along with some more .2gr plus and minus to check accuracy and velocity consistency. After this is completed, going to work up some 115gr flat point, hard cast. :)

Jim