3 historic days in a row, for me...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfsong

Staff member
7 December was The Day That Will Live In Infamy. 8 December marked the 41st anniversary of the death of John Lennon. And today, 9 December, marks the 20th anniversary of the passing of my father. He was, among many other things, a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne. One night, many years ago while in deer camp, he taught my brother and I a song from his past. He swore us to secrecy; we had to promise that we would NEVER sing it anywhere around our mother (we kept that promise, but one of our sisters snitched us out to mom, but that's another story). I had all but forgotten about that song over the years until today while reminiscing and thinking about Dad. Thought I'd share it here with y'all. It held importance and pride for him...

"Blood On The Risers"

https://youtu.be/VWgsdexkv18

hittman

Staff member
My condolences on your loss.

Was that song in an old (maybe John Wayne) war movie?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
wolfsong said:
Bob Wright said:
John Lennon? One of the Beatles whose wife shot him?

Bob Wright

???

Didn't one of the Beatles have a wife named Yoko Ono, and she shot her husband with a .44 Revolver, maybe a Charter Arms revolver? I remember reading that many years ago, or some similar story.

Bob Wright

O.K. I googled John Lennon and was confused about his killing. He was shot by a man named Mark David Chapman who had formed a dislike for Lennon for his anti-Christian remarks. He did use a Charter Arms revolver, but it was a .38, not a .44. I think I got the "Son of Sam" shooting and Lennon's killing mixed up.

Bob Wright

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
This was one of many songs listed in a folk song book I had in the sixties. Google "he ain't gonna jump no more lyrics" and it will lead you down a rabbit hole for sure. Ft. Benning was an interesting place with the OCS buildings next door to the 500' towers!

blackhawknj

Buckeye
I learned "Blood upon the risers" in jump school in 1969.
Mark David Chapman was a deranged fan, tried to be John Lennon, even married a Japanese woman. He pled guilty, has been eligible for parole for years but they keep getting petitions from John Lennon fans and Yoko Ono demanding that he be kept locked up.

Yep, Blood on the Riser for the old TU10 & Para Commander days of jumping rounds...blue skies/black death sort of BS...800 jumps later all the yuppies at the DZ were drinking Periera and getting massages between loads...think I liked the 70's better....

Latest posts