22 precision

Help Support Ruger Forum:

papa shooter

Bearcat
Who here has handled and shot the new 22 precision rifle? Also, what type sights or scope did you use?
I'm interested but would have to order one and i'm the kind of guy that likes to touch and feel before I buy.

Thanks
Tim

I don't expect to see one on a dealer shelf out here. That will keep their proliferation low. So the only folks to buy them, will be the folks that already know of the rifles existence, and will seek one out online.

DcnDog

Bearcat
I have one but am such a newbie to bolt action and especially precision shooting that my input must be taken with a grain of salt.
New and just cleaned up from the box I took it to an indoor range (noted some problems with the rifle- scope base machined incorrectly, barrel misaligned, last round chamber problem on another thread) and was able to punch 5 round dime size groups at 23 yards. I returned the rifle to the factory and within seven days had it back reworked. They even sent a silicone towel for my troubles.

A grandson and I went to the outdoor range and played for several hours this week. Since it was more about being together, and getting the https://www.midwayusa.com/product/275994/nikon-prostaff-target-efr-rimfire-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-1-4-moa-adjustments-adjustable-objective-precision-reticle-matte some what close, shooting groups was kind of an aside. When I could pry it away I did manage to run one mag at 50 yards within about a two and half inch circle. We both hit paper at 120 yards with ease. He even drove two golf balls along the ground from about 20 feet out to 50 yards, hit after hit after hit. Just using a box of the Federal 40gn, 325 count. Shot some CCI "quiet" that we both found to be a hoot. (6" drop at 50 yards from the Federal). Using Burris rings, Harris bipod with a magpul sling stud attachment.

The last round problem seemed to be gone until the last few mags, and then re-appeared. Maybe just getting a little dirty from all the fun.

Love the trigger, just the smallest amount of take up and then a wall and sharp break. Hope this helps.

papa shooter

Bearcat
2-1/2" at 50 yards? Where is the precision in that? I've got 10-22's that shoot better than that? I've got a first year production model 77 that shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards off a rest with Winchester bulk ammo.
I'm looking for a rimfire silhouette rifle. That means very small groups at 100 meters!

dusty3030

Bearcat
papa shooter said:
2-1/2" at 50 yards? Where is the precision in that? I've got 10-22's that shoot better than that? I've got a first year production model 77 that shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards off a rest with Winchester bulk ammo.
I'm looking for a rimfire silhouette rifle. That means very small groups at 100 meters!

Well he did preface he wasn't an experience shooter.

I've got one. Got the scope mounted and that is about it. If the weather will hold I'll shoot it tomorrow. Over all I like the fit and finish of it and will report back if we get a chance to shoot it.

DcnDog

Bearcat
Yep, just a newbie in a rush so no precision.

But, this from 22Plinkster may be more helpful: https://youtu.be/vpvT4Yzi8Fs

wwb

Hunter
DcnDog said:

Watched the video until he shot the 50-yard group..... there's nothing "precision" about that. Maybe it would fare better with different ammo... but if you're trying to show it at its best, you would first find out what it likes.

JStacy

Blackhawk
DCN , don't be offended by peoples comments ! We all are interested in the new Ruger "Precision " rifle. It may be "Precision " in name only or style.
Most 22's are very ammo specific and shoot what they like quite well and what they don't like into shotgun like patterns. Most 10/22's with a good aftermarket barrel will shoot 1/2" or better at 50 yards and some will shoot sub 1" at 100 yards. Enjoy your rifle and keep us up on ammo your have tried. You might want to get some CCI SV as a starting point You can try some Norma Tac 22 it shoot got out of my guns and step it up a notch and get some Green Tag or SK rifle match. Enjoy your rifle and shooting with your kiddo ,always a good time at the range.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
wwb said:
DcnDog said:

Watched the video until he shot the 50-yard group..... there's nothing "precision" about that. Maybe it would fare better with different ammo... but if you're trying to show it at its best, you would first find out what it likes.

I agree! I don't normally waste much time watching any videos "he" posts. I particularly don't care much for how he tests .22 rimfire. Not that I have the commensurate method to test .22 rimfire, but I do try to remove some of the previous fouling before moving on to a different brand of .22 rimfire ammunition. Now, I don't scrub the barrel until it's "desert-bone dry", because then the bore will need to be conditioned once again. Maybe he did do that, but he didn't mention or show that he did.

I was curious about the barrel and whether or not it was easily changed, in the event other barrel producers, like Mr. Tony Kidd come out with a barrel for this rifle. I did spit a little coffee on my keyboard when he mentioned that if the barrel is changed, "a head-space gauge would be needed". On all of the Ruger rimfire rifles that I've had my paws on, head-space is incorporated into the bolt face. So, it's gonna be very interesting to read from "RPM Enterprises" as to what the bolt face looks like on the three rifles he has had arrive and whether Ruger did go with a different type of head-space procedure. .

wwb

Hunter
On the subject of accurate .22 rifles...... Sunny and calm today, temps in the low 40s, so it's time to burn some powder, so I took a bunch of different 69 grain .223s out to the club to see how they worked at 200 and 300 yards.

One of the fellows at the gun club was shooting his latest acquisition.... a Savage Mark II BV. Shooting CCI standard velocity, he was shooting 3/8 inch 5-shot groups at 50 yards off sandbags. At the 25 yard target, it was the proverbial "one ragged hole". I may just have to look into getting one of them - I could get one for about half of the $$$ I have invested in my 10/22, and it shoots just as well.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
wwb said:
On the subject of accurate .22 rifles...... Sunny and calm today, temps in the low 40s, so it's time to burn some powder, so I took a bunch of different 69 grain .223s out to the club to see how they worked at 200 and 300 yards.

One of the fellows at the gun club was shooting his latest acquisition.... a Savage Mark II BV. Shooting CCI standard velocity, he was shooting 3/8 inch 5-shot groups at 50 yards off sandbags. At the 25 yard target, it was the proverbial "one ragged hole". I may just have to look into getting one of them - I could get one for about half of the $$$ I have invested in my 10/22, and it shoots just as well.

I have the Savage MkII BV, very accurate at 50 yards even with junk ammo, highly recommend.