22 Mag OM Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Finally! A few years ago I found an old model single six. It's marked "Win 22 RF Mag." However when I bought it, it just had the 22 lr cylinder. Which fortunately is stamped with the gun's serial number, so it came from the factory like that.

Over the years, when I can remember, I'll buy a magnum cylinder, but they haven't fit yet. I bought one last summer on Ebay, and it was a 22 regular long rifle cylinder, NOT magnum. So I try to stay away from Ebay.

Anyway, when Mr. Deerstalker had three cylinders in the classifieds, I bought them. Surprisingly one fit this gun, and another fit another single six I've been needing a magnum cylinder for as well. Thanks, Mr. Deerstalker!

Awesome! This week, I've finally finished two long term gun projects I've wanted to do for a while now. How about you guys, do you ever put off projects for years at a time?

zW2P9MRl.jpg

XjLDY2Ql.jpg

I'm not sure why the cylinder has firing pin dents in it between chambers. How would this have happened in between chambers?
V84PS2Dl.jpg

kevin masten

Blackhawk
To answer your question regarding firing pin indentations in the cylinder....abuse! Pure and simple . You may have trouble seating the cartridge in the chambers that have been peened by firing pin strikes , also.

yes, the Dremel can remove any burring that extends into the case head area ,like the one at "1 o'clock" chamber,,,,,,all too often folks do not properly install, index, and get the center pin 'seated" correctly before lower the hammer or pulling the trigger, as noted above "simple abuse"........nice looking revolver by the way Kevin... 8) :roll: :wink:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Kevin, I put off painting the interior of my garage for about 22 years..... finally got'er done around 2018.

J.

Thanks for all the comments. I did get a chance to take it out today. I'm able to load all the chambers without any problems.

However, the accuracy is terrible with the magnum cylinder. With 22lr, this revolver can get 2" groups at 25 yards. But with the magnum cylinder, it's about 8 or 10 inches. I can't figure this out at all.

Johnnu2: 22 years to paint a garage. :D Glad you got it done! I think I've only put things off for 8 or 10 years at most. :oops:

No? Do you think different brands of magnum ammo would group differently? I have a lot of different magnum ammo.

I'll give it a try the next time I go to the range.

Thanks, Ale, I didn't think about this. I tried using a sandbag, making each shot count, and I'm not kidding, the group was at least 10 inches, if not more. But with regular 22 lr ammo, I get really nice groups of around 2 inches.

These group sizes at ~25 yards.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The common sense test:

Number each chamber of the mag cyl with grease pencil or something else easy to remove. Fire 5 rounds from one chamber on one target and number the target with the chamber #. Do that for each chamber, each on a separate target.

Now compare the targets. Is each chamber grouping poorly? Or can you identify one or more targets with associated chambers that group differently than the other targets/chambers? If yes, the cyl has one or more bad chambers causing the poor groups.

Either don't shoot from those chambers, look for a replacement cyl., or return the gun to Ruger.