.22 mag loads? what would you recommend if any?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
Hi All,
Just asking a question: What are good .22 mag loads for use in a Super Single Six (6 1/2 " barrel) for hunting woodchucks at 50 yds max.
Thanks

Cholo

Staff member
I havn't found a lightweight .22 mag that shot worth a damn in the several handguns that I own. I've always found the 40gr bullets to shoot better. I have some heavier stuff to try, but don't think they'd be suitable for groundhogs.

WW 40gr HP PowerPoints shoot well in my guns. I never counted a groundhog as a kill unless I could pick it up. I shot one at about 40yds dead center right behind the shoulder and he walked 50' or so till he ended his hike with the Single Six in my avatar. I've killed more right outside of their hole with a .22LR stinger right in the head or neck with a rifle. No .22 mag shot out of a handgun will drop a groundhog in it's tracks without a head or neck shot if it's by its hole.

The real question is...what shoots best in the gun you intend to use?

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
I have cleanly killed many chest shot woodchucks with .22 cci lr hp out of a 20" barreled rifle. I was hoping that a 22 mag out of a pistol may be close to the same power. I guess I need some rethinking

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
JWFilips said:
I have cleanly killed many chest shot woodchucks with .22 cci lr hp out of a 20" barreled rifle. I was hoping that a 22 mag out of a pistol may be close to the same power. I guess I need some rethinking

WW 40 grain JHP Magnums clock 1300 fps out of my 5 1/2" Single Six. That's faster than the 40 LR Power Points out of my 10-22 rifle. The WW Mags will tear up a Ground Squirrel or a Prairie Dog more than the LR Power Points that I shoot, maybe because of the jacketed bullet. In fact, I shot some Richardson's Ground Squirrels yesterday with both guns and that Mag loading really messes them up. :shock:

steve b

Single-Sixer
I like the WW power-point HP in LR, its a full 40grs. I also have bought but not tried yet, Federal Game-Shok .22mags that are a 50gr HP.. Knew a boy with scars up and down one leg. He wounded a chuck and then got between it and its hole. Broke his rifle stock killing the varmint. His dog got bit too. Quite a rodeo there for a minute or two. steve b

1mathom1

Bearcat
I got lucky. Mine shoots the least expensive WallyWorld WW Dynapoints the best. That usually never happens.

Three50seven

Buckeye
1mathom1 said:
I got lucky. Mine shoots the least expensive WallyWorld WW Dynapoints the best. That usually never happens.

I have an old Savage 65M rifle that loves dynapoints, but they don't print well at all out of my single six.

Bob G

Single-Sixer
The Maxi-Mag HP+V's are absolutely violent. I actually prefer to use them in my 5-1/2" Single-Six. For some reason, they don't extract overly well in my 10-22 Magnum. I have used pretty much every .22 Mag offering on the market. The 30 grain Maxi-Mag HP+V is very accurate, and very deadly coming out of the Single-Six; otherwise I wouldn't stuff them in there. They are not the cheapest. I will watch my pond for a poor unsuspecting muskrat. If Susie or Sam present themselves, I will post a pic of the handywork. Unlike our president, concealing a picture of the vermin Osama Bin Laden's remodeled head, I have no particular compunction of displaying a cleanly dispatched varmint. One shot, one kill, sir.

Bob G

Single-Sixer
I completely forgot about Federal TNT's. They are nasty little killers. They aren't pinpoint accurate like the Remington Premiers, but talk about complete bullet disruption upon impact. Ye Boy!

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
1mathom1 said:

My Single Six loves the Dynapoints too. They are quite a bit cheaper than the others. :)

I have 7 .22 WRMs: a Win 61M pump, a Savage 4M bolt, an 18 1/2" barrel for my G2 Contender, and a Savage Model 24 .410/.22WRM. All the rifles shoot the 40gr original Winchester ammo best except the G2, which shoots the 30 gr. Remington "green tip" ammo a lot better. Of my handguns, an S&W 651 4", a Colt New Frontier 6", and an S&W M48 6", they all shoot the 40 gr. Winchesters best except the 651 shoots CCI .22 WRF (Not WRM) 45 gr. better than any .22 WRM (I know it says not to shoot them in revolvers. I also know it is lawyerly BS....).

When I lived in NYS I killed a fair number of woodchucks with the Model 24's rifle barrel and with the S&W M48 and with a Ruger Bisley that I'd added a .22 WRM cylinder to. You need to hit them in the upper half of their body or head to kill them cleanly with a handgun in .22 WRM. For most of us, that means getting CLOSE! Much waiting and crawling....

The .22WRM in a rifle will kill them with any body shot at a reasonable range. In our part of NYS (northeast) woodchucks live in or very near the WOODS. They can't live in fields because most are plowed or hunted regularly. So most shots are 50 yards or less. I can't hit them reliably at 50 yards with a handgun, so spent some time "injuning up." Fun, but many tick bites..... With a rifle it is so much easier.

Darkangel1846

Bearcat
JMHO but Federal makes a 50gr .22 magnum classic that holds it's speed and smacks hard, it is also the most accurate round that I've used. Now it's not 2200fps but it makes up for it in accuracy.

JamesLoren

Bearcat
I have found the heavier bullets seem to shoot best in my old model single six. The winchester dyna point 45 grain, and the 50 grain federal load is also very accurate.

Wee Hooker

Bearcat
As with most rimfires, it's worth trying as many brands as you can then stick with the best shooting from your gun. That said, I found the 40 gr solid points from federal to deliver the best consistancy in five different .22 mags over several years..