22/45 trigger pull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
I bought a used 22/45 mk111 and it seems to have a very hard trigger pull. Is a hard pull normal? It has already had the magazine disconnect removed and one of those speed strip recoil pins installed. It still has the factory trigger.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Volquartsen sear will make a big difference. You may want to get it from Tandemkross.com or WirthwienGun.com. Volquartsen only sells the full accurizing kits now.

Some of those later series pistols have stamping burs on small parts causing more drag and harder trigger pulls.
Since it's already been "modified", the modifier may have incorrectly installed parts or tweaked something. Maybe dis-assemble, inspect, lube, and re-assemble to see if the issue is resolved or improved.
I had a guy bring me a III series that had a "sticky" trigger. I don't know how he'd managed to re-assemble the parts in the position they were in w/o breaking something and I had a heck of a time getting it apart. Re-assembling with parts in correct position resulted in proper function.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
The above statement is not true, Volquartsen does indeed sell sears for the Ruger Mark III 22/45 pistols separately. Also, the two names mentioned above are NOT the ONLY firms that sell Volquartsen sears. Some others actually will install those sears at no charge when purchased from them. :D

RUT

Single-Sixer
>>Volquartsen only sells the full accurizing kits now.<<

Which is most unfortunate. I don't want or need a full accurizing kit...just the sear, bushing, and perhaps a trigger. I'm able to do this with my Mark ll's, so why not the MK lV? I did install an Apex action enhancement kit, but it really didn't do much. I don't really want to put a lot more money into this thing, as I seem to shoot my Mark ll's much better.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
I am the OP. I ordered the Volquartsen accurizing kit and it will be here Monday. Now to measure the before and after pull weight, but I am not interested in the actual weight, only the difference in the weights.
I bent a wire to fit across the trigger and hang down past the grip while holding the gun with the barrel pointing straight up. The other end of the wire holds a ziplock bag. Since I am a bullet caster I have plenty of bullets and one pound ingots on hand. I put two ingots and a handful of bullets in the bag, and slowly raised the gun. The trigger didn't trip. I threw in another handful of bullets and slowly raised the gun. It still didn't trip. I tried another handful and this time the trigger tripped. Now to take bullets out of the bag.

Try five at a time, then two, then one. Now I know what it takes to trip the trigger. When I get the kit installed, I will take bullets out of the baggie until it doesn't trip, count the bullets I took out and multiply that by the bullet weight. The answer is the reduction in trigger pull weight.

hpman66

Hunter
nvbirdman said:
I am the OP. I ordered the Volquartsen accurizing kit and it will be here Monday. Now to measure the before and after pull weight, but I am not interested in the actual weight, only the difference in the weights.
I bent a wire to fit across the trigger and hang down past the grip while holding the gun with the barrel pointing straight up. The other end of the wire holds a ziplock bag. Since I am a bullet caster I have plenty of bullets and one pound ingots on hand. I put two ingots and a handful of bullets in the bag, and slowly raised the gun. The trigger didn't trip. I threw in another handful of bullets and slowly raised the gun. It still didn't trip. I tried another handful and this time the trigger tripped. Now to take bullets out of the bag.

Try five at a time, then two, then one. Now I know what it takes to trip the trigger. When I get the kit installed, I will take bullets out of the baggie until it doesn't trip, count the bullets I took out and multiply that by the bullet weight. The answer is the reduction in trigger pull weight.

IMHO, I wouldn't be as concerned with the difference in trigger pull as what trigger pull I feel most comfortable with in the type of shooting that I was doing. In target/bullseye type shooting, I would most likely want a lighter pull to extract the best possibility of the best score(safety not as much of a factor in controlled conditions). For hunting and self defense, I would want a heavier pull to ensure safety(prevent premature discharge--too light of a pull) and still be able to make shot placement/accurate shots possible.