22/45 fieldstrip from hell!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

agksimon

Bearcat
OpsMgr said:
The mag safety is what makes the Mk III a PITA to field strip. You could always remove the mag safety by installing a Mk II hammer bushing - Plus your Mk III 22/45 mags would drop free upon pressing the release...

You can also buy one of Sam's bushings for $10. and use your existing MKIII hammer.

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
I heard and read about all the horror stories of field stripping the Mark III and i thought no not me, but sure enough i ran into roadblocks. :oops:

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
D_Gunner said:
I heard and read about all the horror stories of field stripping the Mark III and i thought no not me, but sure enough i ran into roadblocks. :oops:
I think all but the luckiest will run into a 22/45 fieldstrip roadblock at least once.

oneruger

Bearcat
I have just inserted the mainspring housing bolt forward of the hole it is suppose to go in. I have taken the advice of wiggling and pulling and side to side movement... and the most important... the uttering of explicit terms in hopes of getting the housing back out. An hour later I am still in the process of:
1. wiggle and pull
2. rotate and pull
3. explicit remarks
repeat... over and over...

any one have any other help they might be able to share? It's a great looking paperweight and all but I really would like to actually shoot it again!

Thanks

arcsound

Bearcat
I just had my brandy new 22/45 a few weeks, and after firing it a few times, felt it was time to try the field strip process, despite the anectodal evidence that it could be a bear. Hey, I'm an engineer, how bad could it be?! Well, I was following a YouTube video, that seemed to do a better job than trying to follow the manual, which I found confusing, and it worked the first time no problem. Then I decided to try it again, feeling my oats, and sure enough, I wasn't paying attention, and jammed the pin forward of the hole! I could not understand why it would not pull free, and after ever increasing levels of force due to ever shrinking patience, I just ripped it out. Needless to say, it would not work correctly after that, figured I'd bent something. Brought it to my 'smith, and even he couldn't figure out what was wrong, so we ended up sending it back to Ruger. They realized it had been mishandled, but still fixed it as a courtesy. Great customer service. Anyway, I'm going to fire about 10K rounds through it before I decide whether to try stripping it again.... Now I know why the ritualistic insert mag, point up, pull trigger dance. Eeech, the manual should explain what is going on, i.e. the mag interlock "feature".

ps- Can I dry fire the MK-II, like the MK-III 22/45?

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
oneruger said:
I have just inserted the mainspring housing bolt forward of the hole it is suppose to go in. I have taken the advice of wiggling and pulling and side to side movement... and the most important... the uttering of explicit terms in hopes of getting the housing back out. An hour later I am still in the process of:
1. wiggle and pull
2. rotate and pull
3. explicit remarks

any one have any other help they might be able to share? It's a great looking paperweight and all but I really would like to actually shoot it again!

Thanks
The only advice I can give is to just keep at it with the wiggling and pulling. Eventually it will come free.

kacher1

Bearcat
oneruger said:
1. wiggle and pull
2. rotate and pull
3. explicit remarks

Thanks

Have you tried wrapping a piece of cloth (good old piece of tee shirt) on the mainspring lever and pulling with a pair of pliers? I have to do that to start my mainspring assembly out.