200th year Mk I help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deerslayerdfr

Bearcat
Need some help here… I have a 200th year MK I that someone told me that seems to have had the lower changed at some point in its lifetime, as the grip screws don't match to where a 200th year model should be on the frame… I'm wanting to get some wood grips for it but can't use the gun model as reference… the left grip panel screws center to center I approx. 3.015" and the right side grips center to center is 2.760"… close as I get get with my digital caliper… does anyone know what grips for the MK I lower that I have should I order for…. I hope this question wasn't to confusing… the gun has the black plastic grips on it, but I'm a wood guy and would like to get a set that had the Ruger medallion in them and at least keep it a Ruger… maybe a grip part number from somewhere would be greatly appreciated… thanks to all who can help…

Remove the grips and look at the frame to see if it says A100 or A54. That will tell you what grips to look for. I'm not near mine right now and I'm sure someone will be along and give you a more complete answer. If not, I'll write more tomorrow. I wonder if someone built the gun from an older frame with the 200th upper which would have been made in 1976.

contender

Ruger Guru
As Ron has mentioned,, you need to pull the grips, and see if it's an A54 or a A-100. By 1976,, it SHOULD have the A-100 frame. But often,, parts are swapped around.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Hold the gun in your hand. If the left side bottom grip screw is lower than the right side, you have a A54 grip frame. If the right hand bottom grip screw is lower than the left side, then you have a A100 grip frame. Grips with the lower right side grip screw are the correct ones for a 1976 Liberty gun. I have owned a lot of A54 grip frame pistols and have never seen one marked A54. I have owned lots of A100 grip frame pistols and they were all stamped A100 on the left side of the grip frame. I am currently building a 1976 4-3/4 inch Liberty upper to a Mark 2 lower. Maybe somebody here can post some pictures of A54 grips and A100 grips to make it easy to understand.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Easy ID. Right side grip panel tells all.

A54_100.jpg

Last edited:
Pic would really help.
*** is wrong with people asking a stupid question because they don't include pictures. *** is someone supposed to base their answer on??? It looks like someone Frankenized a pellet gun. I don't believe he even has one.

Last edited by a moderator:
we missing something here??? I see "nothing" that looks like any 'crossman' MK II, ???
guess its too late to tell some folks that any picture is "worth a thousand words"...:unsure::rolleyes:;)
The OP couldn't be bothered to post a picture of their Frankenruger while asking model specific questions!!! *** is wrong with people??? It's like asking what model is this and not posting a freaking picture!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

hittman

Staff member
The constant WTF ( and freaking ) falls in here:

On a related note:

There has been an awful lot of thinly veiled profanity (e.g. using a dollar sign for the letter "s," or replacing the letter "i" with an exclamation point) cropping up in the forum lately. As adults, certainly few of us are shocked that such language might be used among ourselves. However, this is a family friendly forum and the use of such language is inappropriate, as we all want to portray RF in its best light. Therefore, avoid the use of "thinly veiled profanity" altogether.

We all learned that only ignorant, small-minded people have to use such language and that people who use such language are probably ignorant and small-minded. Sure, sometimes we want to heighten what we say with strong language, but context is always important. After all, you wouldn't use such language at work or in front of your grandma, now, would you?

Note that this means that anything that is "NSFW" is not acceptable here.

This is a friendly reminder. Profanity is inappropriate on RF. Please, use clean language and we can all enjoy RF as the family friendly place that it is meant to be.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Note. Ruger Mark 2 grips will fit a A100 Mark 1 frame, but you need to put a small spacer under the left grip panel in the area where the hammer pin is located to keep the hammer pin from backing out of the gun and locking up the gun. The Mark 2 hammer pin does not fit any Mark 1 frame. I believe you can also use Mark 3 grips on a A100 Mark 1 frame pistol by adding a spacer to keep the hammer pin from backing out. The area that needs the spacer on the Mark 2 / 3 grips is the top right corner of the left grip panel.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Note. Ruger Mark 2 grips will fit a A100 Mark 1 frame, but you need to put a small spacer under the left grip panel in the area where the hammer pin is located to keep the hammer pin from backing out of the gun and locking up the gun. The Mark 2 hammer pin does not fit any Mark 1 frame. I believe you can also use Mark 3 grips on a A100 Mark 1 frame pistol by adding a spacer to keep the hammer pin from backing out. The area that needs the spacer on the Mark 2 / 3 grips is the top right corner of the left grip panel.

CHEVYINLINE6.
Correct. The mounting screw spacing is the same once the A-100 frame came out.

TestEngineer

Bearcat
You don't even need to see the gun or grips at all to identify the frame. Just look at one of the magazines. If the loading button is on the right side, then the frame is an A-54. If it's on the left side, the frame is an A-100.

Latest posts