2 1/4 or 3in SP 101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Childeric48

Bearcat
Looking at both in DA only as a EDC weapon.. I was once told that 357 Mag. isn't as effective in anything under 3" any truth to it? Thanks in advance.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
Huh?

The muzzle velocity is lower with the shorter barrels.
But the recoil is also less.

You probably don't want a full-bore 357 for shooting inside or as a defensive weapon anyway. I have a 2 3/4 Speed Six and a 2 1/4 SP101. I load and shoot 38S+Ps and they hit the steel targets with more-than-enough energy to be effective.

Dave

Merlinspop

Bearcat
MV will be slightly lower with the shorter barrel, but not significantly lower. I carry my 2 1/4 SP all day. Mine has the hammer spur and rides in a simple IWB holster. I want to get it a tuckable holster for when I need to tuck, and a silver dollar pancake for when I don't. Not nearly as accurate with the little SP as I am with my 4" GP, but on the other hand, at about 10 yards all rounds are in a pie-plate sized target, just not all cozied up against each other as they are with the GP.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I use a 3" for general woodswalking and when out seakayaking (I get into some remote backcountry with both activities), and carry a short barrel DAO one around town in the cooler months (otherwise a S&W 637). The 3" is a bit easier to reach way out there to hit something.

cimarron8889

Bearcat
I love the balance of the 3 inch model. If you plan on carrying in a holster the 3 inch is the way to go for the better balance and increased sight radius.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I've had both and like both but for my purposes I've settled on the 2.25 inch version. For me it's just more broadly useful. I don't think you can go wrong with either. It's funny, a number of years ago the 3 inch version was seemingly more rare and a bit of the oddball but in more recent years it has seemingly become quite desirable to many. I liked it a great deal the shorter one is the right choice for me.

Knuckles

Buckeye
DAO is offered in the 2 1/4" bbl/Sp101... nothing else... so if you want the 3 1/16" bbl there's gonna be a hammer on it.

Picture156-1.jpg

Knuckles

Buckeye
Childeric48 said:
Looking at both in DA only as a EDC weapon.. I was once told that 357 Mag. isn't as effective in anything under 3" any truth to it? Thanks in advance.

Hog-wash! :wink:

147 Grain

Bearcat
I agree!

In short barrels under 3", a 357 Mag may not be as efficient as in a longer 4" - 6" barrel, but it's still very effective with the right loading.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The 2 1/4" is gonna carry better BUT the 3 1/16" will shoot a bit better & have less recoil.. Longer sight radius & extra weight..
I've had both & had a DAO hammer for the 3"er..
If i had to choose one It would be the 2 1/4" SP101..

BTW the Uncle Mikes/Spegels on knuckles SP look great..
Is that a Gerber Mini Gator in that Picture??

Here's the three SP101s I used to have, two were 9mm para

rugersp101s3.jpg

Grips by Hogue & Badger, Holster by Matt DelFatti & Knife is a Hk Spyderco Q

Landric

Bearcat
I couldn't decide on it, so I got both:

SP101s.jpg

I recently chronographed the Federal Hydrashok 158 grain out of both my 2 1/4" and 3" SP101s. It averaged 1135 fps from the 2 1/4" and 1165 fps from the 3". The Federal Classic 125 grain SJHP averaged 1293 fps from the 2 1/4", I haven't had a chance to chrono it from the 3 incher.

Anyone who tells you that the .357 Magnum isn't any better than the .38 Special +P from a snubbie has no idea what they are talking about.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Smee781 said:
I love a 9mm wheel gun, one day I will find a sp to go along with my Speed six.

I've had several 9mm revolvers & the SP101 is a good one..
I also have a couple of Smith & Wesson 9mm Centennail Snubbies that are my main carry weapons..

S&W Airweight M642/M942 & M940
942940.jpg