1970s ruger aircraft aluminum single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

randog48

Bearcat
I have a 1970s Buntline single six. The lower portion is made of light weight aircraft aluminum. It also has stag pastel grips. I once found it in a gun digest and it stated that only 500 or so were ever made.Looking for any further information on the gun.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpeg
    IMG_1128.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1129.jpeg
    IMG_1129.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1132.jpeg
    IMG_1132.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1144.jpeg
    IMG_1144.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_E1144.jpeg
    IMG_E1144.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 100
Welcome to the Forum,,,,,,depends on what the serial number may be, but to us it looks like a stripped aluminum (ALcoa) frame, on a regular steel cylinder fame, with Jay Scott plastic grips............:unsure:;)
yes, the housing is also "stripped" (same metal alloy)........
cannot get a clear zoom in of the serial number,BUT that being a "New model" and from you say the "1970s" it should have been in a red,white new model box and the LONG barreled 9 1/2 inchers were a white box...that yellow /black box is from the 1980s that you have pictured.......neat package still(y)

Last edited:
By "lower portion " are you referring to the grip frame?

It looks to me like someone's polished the anodizing off the grip frame and ejector rod housing in an effort to "customize" that Single Six.

Last edited:
Yes, the term 'Buntline' was an old western throwback to when Ned Buntline ordered the LONG barrel guns from Colt, I do not believe Ruger ever used the term in their 'merchandizing'....even with their 7 1/2 and 10 inch Blackhawks ,let alone a 9 1/2 in Single or Super Single Sixes...MR Ruger did NOT Like having to put 'other' companies names anywhere on his firearms, I heard him "complain" about this many yeas ago with the "Remington" or S&W named calibers...one reason he tried so hard in the early 90s to get calibers "changed" to Ruger , and eventually he did come up with his own, with the .480 Ruger and the .204 Ruger...that made his heart go "pitter pat"...I recall back then at one of the NRA conventions, we talked with Mr Ruger and our friend Gary Johnston (SOF) introduced us to Mikhail Kalyshnikov as to the "re-naming" of the .7.62 Russian, again for the Ruger Mini 30.s??? oh well such as this is just MORE "Ruger lore" but some truth to it.............:unsure:;)(y)

randog48

Bearcat
I have a 1970s Buntline single six. The lower portion is made of light weight aircraft aluminum. It also has stag pastel grips. I once found it in a gun digest and it stated that only 500 or so were ever made.Looking for any further information on the gun.
Why is so much attention being paid to the term buntline?I want to know if anyone has ever seen a gun like this!

hittman

Staff member
Why is so much attention being paid to the term buntline?I want to know if anyone has ever seen a gun like this!
1. Because Buntline is not a term ever associated with Ruger firearms.
2. Yes. Your gun is a common New Model Single Six Convertible as the letter states.

Somebody rubbed the blued finish off the frame and reduced it's value.

Excellent accurate shooter though. Should provide you with decades of fun plinking.

contender

Ruger Guru
hittman is correct.
Your letter states it was shipped as a "NR-9" which is the common 9-1/2" Single-Six convertible.
And as noted above,, the term "buntline" has never been used by Ruger to describe any of it's longer barreled SA handguns.
Also,, the stripping of the coating/color of the grip frame has been done often. Your gun has had it done by a previous owner.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Yes, it is a common New Model Single Six, catalog number NR9, that has undergone some Bubba work to strip the black anodizing off the aluminum grip frame and ejector rod housing. Ruger used aluminum alloy for most of the blue Single Six and Blackhawk grip frames from 1953 until the present, and then started using aluminum for the ejector rod housing starting in about 1964. The grips are also not original Ruger, and has been stated, they look like Jay Scott fake stag grips. If it were unmolested, it would be a $500 gun give or take. But with the modified grip frame, ERH, and aftermarket grips, it is worth whatever someone will offer (I would think around $400). The 9.5" barrel is less common than the 5.5" or 6.5" barrels, but far more than 500 were made. The Gun Digest may have been referencing the old model XR3 grip frame Single Six with the 9.5" barrel (model RSS9). That was probably made in about that quantity. Then the XR3-RED grip frame RSS9 and RSS9X convertibles were probably made in higher quantity, and even more of the New Model NR9s (which are still being made).

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Since I have some pretty knowledgeable folks at hand, I have a question. In the summer of 2008, I shot a Single Six in 17 HMR. I remember it had a long barrel, longer than 6 1/2. I thought 12 at the time, but knowing what I now know, probably 9 1/2".

Now my question, I did a little looking & can't find where Ruger made a Single Six in that caliber with a longer than 6 1/2" barrel. Am I misremembering?

Johnnu2

Hunter
YES..........They were made...see page 85 in Hiddlesons'' REFERENCEOF RUGER FIREARMS
See..... this is what I mean when I say we can get FAST and ACCURATE info right here without having to got rummaging thru pages and pages of books for an hour or two. Come HERE and the experts are always kind enough to provide the answers...!!! And maybe a little teaser to entice you to "read the books". ;)
J.