10/22 Target model not so accurate.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jazzpicker

Bearcat
Ok,I'm ready. I have a Mueller 4.5X14 with AO bore sighted, mounted and ready to go. I'll have to look for some wolf ammo. I have some of every other kind .22 ammo in the world. I was always under the impression that Wolf was an inferior brand, at least in .223 but I am seeing more people using it now.
I think that .22 rimfire is becoming more popular because still cheap to shoot. The 10/22 is a neat little rifle and you have many options to accurize and customize the rifle. I'll eventually get this rifle shooting one hole.

hpman66

Hunter
Keep looking for different brands to buy/try. You might get lucky and find something that shoots well and doesn't cost a fortune to buy. Like I also said, for the first 1000 rounds, you are breaking in the barrel/action and your accuracy won't reach it's full potential until the rifle is broke in. Why spend big bucks during the first 1000 rounds or so? Be sure to dial in the AO for the correct range.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
jazzpicker":2597ct0r said:
Ok,I'm ready. I have a Mueller 4.5X14 with AO bore sighted, mounted and ready to go. I'll have to look for some wolf ammo. I have some of every other kind .22 ammo in the world. I was always under the impression that Wolf was an inferior brand, at least in .223 but I am seeing more people using it now.
I think that .22 rimfire is becoming more popular because still cheap to shoot. The 10/22 is a neat little rifle and you have many options to accurize and customize the rifle. I'll eventually get this rifle shooting one hole.
Yes, I was under the same impression regarding Wolf products and the only ammo of their's I've used is rimfire. Be advised there are two choices, Wolf "M/T" (match/target) and Wolf "Match". The "M/T" is the less expensive of the two and shoots just as accurately for the most part. You may get the odd "flier" with M/T but in this case a flier will typically open a 50 yd group maybe 1/4"! I've read that Wolf uses VihtaVuori powder in their rimfire ammo and that may be, it doesn't smell like any other ammo, has a distinct "chemical" smell. When checked with a headspace gauge, Wolf M/T is very uniform, and it is lubed with some kinda slippery stuff that leaves a residual effect for a half dozen accurate shots with other ammo. Maybe the lube is part of the "magic". Whatever the reason, it is VERY accurate rimfire fodder that costs less than Eley....(PS Don't even bother with CCI "Green Tag", whoever thought that it should be labeled as "target" ammo uses a larger "target" than most folks...) Hope this helps, Dennis :wink: (PS, after trying every "cheap" rimfire ammo I could find, I settled on Amer. Eagle 38 gr HP Comes in a 40 rd box. Typically shoots around 3/4" @ 50 yds in my Ruger and son's custom M-60 Winnie. My S6's like it too. Slams ground squirrels real well....)

jazzpicker

Bearcat
I went to the range this afternoon with the AO scope and shot 100 rounds at 25 yards on a steady bench with an good rifle rest. The groups were a little tighter, about the same as my 28 year old standard 10/22. I'll look for some wolf online and if that doesn't work, I'll install a new target barrel. The gun would shoot touching shots most of the time but every 4th (usually) round was a flier.

The 10/22 target model is a beautiful gun with the bull barrel and laminated stock, I just wish it was a "one holer". Oh well I like tinkering with these things and it will be a project.

So far the best one holer out of the box is a CZ.

Tweek

Bearcat
I've been able to shoot one-holers at that distance with my RRR (which is basically a Ruger Hammer Forged Target barrel in a factory barracuda stock).

But only with Eley Target Rifle, or Federal Automatch. Sandbags front AND rear.

Regular bulk Federal (Wally-World) opens up to nickel to quarter sized groups.

The Mueller is a decent scope. I have one on my 77/22 and really like it.

bhappycattle

Bearcat
I too have one of the newer 10/22 T models - grey stainless with plastic trigger housing. I have had zero problems with it. I mounted a Simmons Pro-Sport 3-9x40 in a DNZ medium height mount and shoot every type of ammo under the sun. I sighted mine in at 100 yds, when I was done, I was able to shoot the zip ties holding up my target. I have found mine to be extremely accurate out to 150 yards.

I love shooting remington ammo with truncated bullets. Them make a very nice "thump" on prairie dogs and such.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
1022 I have put together several using the green mountain bbl's all have shot good. In fact I bought 3 10/22's new and took off the bbls and stocks and bought 3 different length's of the .920 bbl's and put them on at one time. The best shooter was a 24" bbl. I played with it for a couple of years and decided to take it hunting. When I put a sling on the rifle and tryed to carry it the bbl was so heavy that it wouldn't stay shouldered and kept hanging almost horizontal. I had gotten rid of the other shorter bbled guns so I cut the 24" down to 16.5" and recrowned it. It still shoots a ragged hole group and now stays put on the shoulder. I bought a ruger made varmit 1022 once it didn't group at all on the first outing I found the stock was loose and tightening it up helped a lot but it still didn't shoot as good as the one I put together it would put 10 shots in a spot the size of a dime at 25 yds after tightening the stock but my other one will shoot a group 1/2 that size so the ruger one left. I have also learned how to make the 10/22 trigger a lot better and that helps a rifle a lot also. I take the triggergroup apart and stone the bushings that hold the trigger centered in the group and that helps a lot. I have put a spring kit in someone elses and wasn't impressed with it. Mine is better and cost nothing to do it yourself all thats needed is a whetrock and a little time polishing on the 2 bushings and it really helps.