10/22 Restoration

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Another thread on here made me think about a 10/22 I have. I am currently using the receiver for my target rifle build, but I am thinking about restoring the rifle to near factory condition. I would leave in the upgraded bolt release and trigger. I would also need to replace the front sight (the previous owner buttered the current front sight).

The rifle was a 1960's built, and came with a walnut stock. The metal butt plate has some dings and scratches in it that I would want to get refinished. The Barrel still looks good with the exception of the front sight. I would also want to get cerakote applied to the receiver and barrel band. I am also tempted to strip and refinish the stock with Tru-Oil.

The rifle has impressed me, it was far more accurate stock configuration than most of the newer 10/22's that I have seen recently.

So what does everyone think?

Charlie

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Would not Black Anodized Aluminum look better and is that not the original finish? I really don't like the powder coat (cerakote?) on my 10/22.................................

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the input everyone.

Mobuck,
My goal is exterior restoration. Most parts would remain the same. The upgraded trigger and bolt release would remain in the unit though. The front sight would need to be changed, as it looks like someone took a pair of pliers to it for some reason. The stock has some minor dings in it and scratches in the finish, The stock is in very good condition for it's age, but should be refinished. Something along the lines of Tru-Oil I would be able to do myself, and look really good. What do you think would be a good track to follow in restoration?

Chief_10Beers,
I didn't realize that was anodized. With cerakote, I was considering CCR refinishing's house black. I believe that cerakote is more like dura coat that requires curing and different from powder coating. Cerakoting should look more like hard anodized aluminum. The original finish on it now looks like worn aluma black. I like the idea of anodizing. Some of the newer anodizing looks really nice, and seems really durable. Would hard anodizing be ok, or could it cause problems with the reciever?

Everyone,

Thanks for the input. Continued input and guidance would be appreciated.

Charlie

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Leucoandro said:
Chief_10Beers,
I didn't realize that was anodized. With cerakote, I was considering CCR refinishing's house black. I believe that cerakote is more like dura coat that requires curing and different from powder coating. Cerakoting should look more like hard anodized aluminum. The original finish on it now looks like worn aluma black. I like the idea of anodizing. Some of the newer anodizing looks really nice, and seems really durable. Would hard anodizing be ok, or could it cause problems with the reciever?

Everyone,

Thanks for the input. Continued input and guidance would be appreciated.

Charlie

Anodizing should not create any problems or you should be able selectively just Anodize the outside of the receiver. Car and Bike guys have that done all the time......................