10/22 magazine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dafishahman

Bearcat
got a 10 round "factory magazine" from...no names mentioned.
the guy said this will work..
77/22-96/22 JX-1 is this the same as #90005 BX1?
or did the guy sale me something else?
BTW, it's for the 10/22 fs tactical.

slowhand

Single-Sixer
The only difference,that I know of,between the two factory mags is the bottom.The one for the 77 is flat and the others are rounded.All will work in all the guns.Slow

I was looking at a 77/22 at a gun show and passed because the magazine didn't go all the way into the receiver. I thought there was something wrong with the gun. I now know it was probably a 10/22 magazine. They may function but they don't look very good in a 77/22.

FunkyD

Bearcat
I can confirm that the 96/22 and the 10/22 magazines are interchangeable, model # or not. Also my 25-round bananas will work in both.

Admittedly, though, a lever-action rifle with the banana mag looks a little odd :)

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Another confirmation on 96/22 mags fitting and working in the 10/22. And yes to the Hot Lips and Steel Lips banana mags too.
And vice versa.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
dafishahman said:
I called up Ruger. They only recommend the #90005 BX1 only for all 10/22's

They can ONLY recomend you use the correct parts in the correct gun. Even if it will work just fine, they cannot recomend you use it if it wasnt made for the gun...

chopprs

Single-Sixer
Here is a pic for you, hope it helps..... :wink:

user12036pic63021260816.jpg

9x19

Hunter
The bottom of the JX1 is flat left to right and angled front to back.

The bottom of the BX1 is rounded left to right and straight front to back.

Either should work in any of the rimfires (10/22, 77/22, 96/22) but they will not match the bottom contour of the stock.

Ed333

Bearcat
A new 10/22 owner, I took my new (to me) Target rifle out today and sighted it in, good fun. However it was cold, and refilling my two magazines got a bit stiff and clumsy.
Any recommendations for well-functioning mags to increase capacity, or well-functioning loader gadgets, or just get a few more and fill them up at home before going to the range? Not sure I want a 30 round banana clip, but I try to keep an open mind.

ranger1

Buckeye
Here's a link for a 10/22 Mag Loader. I've never used one, but it's been given some positive reviews.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=540353#productTabReviews

bullets

Bearcat
i have the bc speed loader, and i can attest to what an improvement they are over hand loading. but they need lubrication where the handle shaft rides in the housing. i used a combination of gun oil and dry powdered graphite. it takes a few hours for the oil to wick in there, but once it is in, it is all good.

bb

jimd441

Blackhawk
Ed,

Or just get a few more and fill them up at home before going to the range?
That is what I would do for what it's worth.

Jim

Ed333

Bearcat
jimd441 said:
Ed,

Or just get a few more and fill them up at home before going to the range?
That is what I would do for what it's worth.

Jim

I think I agree with you. And when I use the indoor range, it is heated... :)

Ed333

Bearcat
Which leads to another question, is there any harm in filling up 10/22 mags a week or two in advance, and leaving them fully loaded? I remember similar threads on 1911 forum, where the consensus seemed to be that compression alone did not lead to weak springs, that it takes many cycles of compression/expansion to gradually weaken a spring, so that is was OK to load your 1911 mags up and leave them around for months or years at a time, with no loss of function. But that is a different kind of spring... ????....

WTC7SmokingGun

Bearcat
MWG 50 rounder is probably the best high capacity magazine but it costs a lot. For the money I think the RAM-LINE 50 round mag is acceptable, even if occasionally jams and has plastic lips. I don't do any serious shooting so 100% reliability isn't that important. I guess you'll have to do your own cost to benefit analysis though.

MWG-022-050-s.jpg

Ram-LineRimfireMagazinesThumb.gif

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Ed333 said:
Which leads to another question, is there any harm in filling up 10/22 mags a week or two in advance, and leaving them fully loaded? I remember similar threads on 1911 forum, where the consensus seemed to be that compression alone did not lead to weak springs, that it takes many cycles of compression/expansion to gradually weaken a spring, so that is was OK to load your 1911 mags up and leave them around for months or years at a time, with no loss of function. But that is a different kind of spring... ????....

A long as they are within the design specs for the spring, you wont have any trouble.... if steel is not overstressed, it will never go out of shape.... So the question is, are the mags over stressing the flat spring, or arent they? I have no idea.... You have to wonder how much thought actualy goes into things like that when they are trying to make these things as cheap as possible.... If it were possible to replace the spring I wouldn't worry about it, but with non openable mags, I personally wouldn't do it... I dont believe it would case a problem, but then, i dont believe it wont either... :D

WTC7SmokingGun

Bearcat
I'm no expert on the magical properties of springs -- only people who write military entrance exams understand these things -- but I imagine, much like bending a paper clip back and forth repeatedly and quickly, it's the heat generated that's rearranging the molecules and re"setting" the spring. I also imagine that compressing a spring fully generates more heat than compressing it partially. But if you load it slowly and let it cool as it compresses I don't *think* it should matter. I could be wrong though. ;)

Also makes me wonder whether speedloaders are really such a good idea... but anywho...