10/22 extractor issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gig

Single-Sixer
I have a 10/22 that will not extract an unfired cartridge.
The gun runs fine if shooting, it loads and extracts empties like a clock.
I'm sure the expansion of the fired cartridge makes it easier for the extractor to grab hold of the empty; but it just does not seem to be able to grip an unfired round.

I have replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen and have installed a new barrel; but the strange thing is, this same 10/22 did the same thing with all factory furniture.

The receiver is from around '65, and newer models of the 10/22 that I have do not have this issue; but for the life of me I cannot see a difference when inspected closely.
The strange thing is, my brother has a 10/22 of about the same vintage that does the same thing.

I am wondering if the barrel hole cut in the receiver could be off just a bit to the right or left which might affect the working of the extractor.

Anyone had this same issue and found a solution?

thanks
gig

9x19

Hunter
Keep in mind that when firing the pressure of the burning gasses forces the spent brass from the chamber which then pushes the bolt to the rear, so the extractor really doesn't do much in live fire.

If the extractor groove in the breech isn't deep enough or close enough to the chamber mouth (rim must over-hang the groove far enough to allow the extractor purchase) that will cause the issue you are having.

Likewise the shape of the nose of the extractor can keep it from gaining purchase by not allowing the hook to move inward enough.

Also, a "match" chambered barrel is setup so that the lead bullet actually engages the rifling when seated in the chamber (sporter barrel chambers rarely do so), and that can make extracting unfired rounds difficult as well.

Good luck.

gig

Single-Sixer
Hey thanks for the info.

Can anything be done to "fix" the problem, or should one just live with it?

Also, as I mentioned the receiver was made around '65 and with the OM barrel installed, the problem still existed while later model 10/22's I have don't seem to have this issue.

Did Ruger make some small change along the way?
Does anyone else have the same issue with an older receiver, or is this issue a personal thing?

9x19

Hunter
If it's a Match chamber, not much will help, but the fact that it happens with the factory barrel may lead to the extractor shape being the culprit... here is one idea that often helps.

Rugerextractor.jpg