10/22 50th Anniversary Rant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
The other day I was looking at my 50th Anniversary Marlin Model 60, and I was reminded again of how disappointed I was at how Ruger handled the 50th Anniversary of the 10/22.

As a bit of a last hurrah before Remington shut them down, the folks at the real Marlin factory in North Haven, CT did it up right with the Model 60. A nice walnut stock, hooded front sight, Marbles style rear sight, rubber butt pad, gold trigger and lettering, deep blued barrel...

For me, it's a keeper. Something to treasure.

I hoped when the 50th came around for Ruger, they would have done something similar- a 10/22 carbine with a walnut stock, and as close to an original as reasonably possible (metal butt pad and barrel band would have been very do-able. Trigger? Most likely not). Instead, the contest they did was ridiculous. With all due respect for the finalists and eventual winner, the designs they submitted did nothing to pay homage to what is arguably the most successful .22 rifle ever made.

I did the best I could with what Ruger offered. I bought a new deluxe sporter that year, which at least says 50th Anniversary on it. It's a very nice rifle, but it's not a special edition. Ruger really missed an oppprtunity.

Brules

Single-Sixer
I completely agree. Ruger really did a disservice to the 50th anniversary 10-22.

When you're selling a product as fast as you can produce it, there's not much profit in making a "special run" that will cost double and sell 5-10% as fast.
Heck, I'd like to see a 10-22 production run with materials and assembly on the order of 1965 quality and would pay 30-40% more for the product BUT from a profit standpoint, it's not worthwhile at under 200-300% of current cost.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Mobuck said:
When you're selling a product as fast as you can produce it, there's not much profit in making a "special run" that will cost double and sell 5-10% as fast.
Heck, I'd like to see a 10-22 production run with materials and assembly on the order of 1965 quality and would pay 30-40% more for the product BUT from a profit standpoint, it's not worthwhile at under 200-300% of current cost.

THAT SAID..........It seems that TALO does not hesitate to take the load off the issue for Ruger and still makes a buck(or they would not do it) Current evidence is the walnut stocked International........... 8)

"THAT SAID..........It seems that TALO does not hesitate to take the load off the issue for Ruger and still makes a buck(or they would not do it) Current evidence is the walnut stocked International........... 8)"

True BUT we're talking about RUGER production guns. I would expect that TALO orders AND PAYS FOR a specific number of guns which Ruger then produces. At that point, it makes no diff to Ruger whether the special run sells out in a week or 5 years. That's what the number crunchers at Ruger are looking at.

9x19

Hunter
Mobuck said:
"THAT SAID..........It seems that TALO does not hesitate to take the load off the issue for Ruger and still makes a buck(or they would not do it) Current evidence is the walnut stocked International........... 8)"

True BUT we're talking about RUGER production guns. I would expect that TALO orders AND PAYS FOR a specific number of guns which Ruger then produces. At that point, it makes no diff to Ruger whether the special run sells out in a week or 5 years. That's what the number crunchers at Ruger are looking at.

And you think, Ruger thought their distributors/customers wouldn't have snapped up a TALO-sized run of walnut/blue 50th anniversary finer-groove sporter 10/22s?

I suspect Ruger just wasn't thinking about the folks who've been buying the 10/22 for the past 50 years, focusing instead on those who might be buying them for the next 50.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
9x19 said:
Mobuck said:

And you think, Ruger thought their distributors/customers wouldn't have snapped up a TALO-sized run of walnut/blue 50th anniversary finer-groove sporter 10/22s?

I suspect Ruger just wasn't thinking about the folks who've been buying the 10/22 for the past 50 years, focusing instead on those who might be buying them for the next 50.

AND, apparently TALO was not thinking about the Finger groove stock either(OR perhaps Ruger would not sanction it because of their choice of configuration for the Annie model............ )

bentblade

Single-Sixer
The thing I hated about this model was that it was Photo shopped and not a owner modified gun like all the other and I thought that was a requirement. That is it had to be a customer customized gun.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
The Marlin 60 Anniversary model was originally scheduled for a run of only 10,000. Those were quickly snapped up and they ended up making a few thousand more.

A 10/22 is modular. Putting a nicer stock on it with a metal butt plate and barrel band would have been a piece of cake. A TALO-sized run of a really nice 10/22 would have sold like hotcakes.

RSIno1

Hunter
I'm certain that Ruger ran the 10-22 at capacity for the 50th year and all of the guns sold. The bean counters were happy and that is all that matters anymore. The customer may always be right but they no longer have a voice at Ruger. The distributor is Ruger's customer not the end buyer. They will listen to a distributor who speaks with a large check.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
ditto1958 said:
The other day I was looking at my 50th Anniversary Marlin Model 60, and I was reminded again of how disappointed I was at how Ruger handled the 50th Anniversary of the 10/22.

As a bit of a last hurrah before Remington shut them down, the folks at the real Marlin factory in North Haven, CT did it up right with the Model 60. A nice walnut stock, hooded front sight, Marbles style rear sight, rubber butt pad, gold trigger and lettering, deep blued barrel... .

Ruger copied the M60 once already, albeit with a different magazine. (flame suit on). It would be normal to copy their 50th anniversary release, but they opted the cheapo version with a 5-minute assembly process instead. Walnut and better blueing would have set them apart. -Don't need no plastic guns here.

If ya didn't like the 50th Anniversary model, then you'd be absolutely underwhelmed with the 2nd Collectors edition.

I bought one. Not because it was special, but because it had an aperture sight. Doesn't take much to please me, so I am pleased. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Vulcan Bob

Single-Sixer
I finally pulled the trigger on a 50th Anniversary International. Always wanted a International and with walnut stock for $299.00 I think a good deal. Had the counter guy bring out three (that's all he would bring out) and picked the nicest wood. I must admit the rest of the offerings did not excite me much.