#1 Kepplinger Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fred M

Bearcat
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
84
Location
Calgary Canada
Today I finally got that Kepplinger trigger and the scelletonized hammer installed. Had some problems with the hammer they are not quite the same and the loading ramp is a shade too high but it works ok. I have to do the milling on the original hammer which was fitted at the factory.

Ruger says hammers must be fitted at the factory, now I know why! The original hammer spring is fine with lighter hammer.

Since the hammer strut fit into the hammer the recess in the hammer must hve been a bit shallow. Because of that I could not get the spring/strut unit back in. Drilled a new slave hole and compressed the sprin and washer in the vice.

The washer slipped off the vise and went into orbit never to be found again. Made a new washer by hand including the two studs on the washer to fit into the slot to keep the pring in place. I had not planned on that job.

The Kepplinger trigger was short in height by 0.024" to reach the underside of the sear arm. This is a bit of a dilemma. So I made a shim 0.113x0.600x0.025deep. I just wanted to try it and glued it to the underside of the sear arm with 51High tech epoxy.
If it works I will solder the shim at a later date.

The adjusting of the set trigger takes a bit of fiddling since the set screw function is not very well explained. As right now the primary trigger pull is 320z and the set pull about 4-5oz. That is pretty good.

One thing the sear notch in the hammer will have to be honed to at least 35oz since the Kepplinger trigger does not adjust the initial pull weight.

Once you adjust the pull weight to 32oz by stoning the hammer notch the Kepplinger trigger is not really needed. . That what I did with all my other #1 Rugers. A 2lbs trigger pull is very good on a hunting rifle. The Kepplinger trigger is smooth and works well once you got it well installed.
 

Fred M

Bearcat
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
84
Location
Calgary Canada
Thanks Jackie.
The rifle is ready to shoot. I need to test two more loads. Right now it is too hot outside. Will let you know of the final outcome and accuracy.
My break in loads are very good, and I may stay with them.

I have some 140gr Nosler Accubond bullets on the way that I will test. These bullets seem to be accurate and perform well on game, specially in my 7x57
#1A.

My final trigger set up is 32oz unset and 16oz set, the low set weight was too touchy specially in cold weather. One lbs feels good with light cloves on.
I applied a bit of Moly slide on the top of the Kepplinger trigger, which makes for a very smooth let off together with a supper smooth polish on both the metal implant an the top of the trigger.

When I feel like I will write this wonderful rifle up on my web site.
 

Latest posts

Top