#1 in 300 H&H

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just bought a #1A Alex Henry forearm and open sites, in 300 H&H mag with a 26" barrel, serial number looks like it was made in 2011, decent wood. I have not shot it yet, but the prior owner said he shot it 8 times and it looks new.
I tweaked it a little already by adding the Tropp custom safety, a .6inch decelerator pad and a Leupold VX 3 2.5x8x38 matte scope with standard duplex. Headed for the range soon, but need some help.
My question is for hand loads/ammo, what powder etc are you all using for this? I want to try some 165 gr Nosler ballistic tips or Partitions.
My excuse for buying this rifle was I am headed to Africa in 2016 and thought this caliber was a pretty traditionalist caliber for plains animals. Any other info on this rife would be great, thanks.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Good find! I picked one up as well---but have not had it to the range as yet. It is actually a 1S you have--the 1A has a lightweight 22 inch barrel. It is just an all around classic combination in the 300 H&H.

I will check back with you when I get mine to the range!

Ron

patrickjames

Single-Sixer
Your really going to like it. Dont kick much more than a 30/06. Mine will shoot 1 moa at 100 yards with quite a few different loads. I've loaded 150 gr. bullets up to 220 gr. bullets. Ive settled on 2 different loads . !80 gr Speer mag tips and !68 gr.Barnes X bullets with IMR4350

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Have a pair I grabbed when they first became available and have yet to fire either. :oops: Go them just for the classic aspect of the cartridge and platform. Would make a perfect classic choice for the African adventure.

Latest posts