KP89DC - guide rod problem ? Help please.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Hi,
This is the older style with the nipple on the end. Shows some galling or something. What should I do? Bought this used and have not fired it yet.

Novice to guns (firwst one I have taken apart) so please explain your answers like I know nothing.

Thanks,

berettapistols

Blackhawk
roylt I would call Ruger & explain your problem to them & you might be able to get them to send you a new rod & recoil spring..
I would look on the inside of the guide rod hole in the slide to see if there's a bur that might be causing the wear..
I always "ASSUMED" that the cutout was to allow for the barrel to drop down easier but can feel resistance before & after the cutout if the slide is cycled slowly..
The rod is aluminum & the slide is stainless so the rod is gonna wear first..
Seeing that makes me wanna grease that area of the recoil rod as well as the forward end after the cutout with either TW-25B or White Lithium..
Good Luck & Enjoy!
Gary
Also if Ruger wants to charge you for that Rod/Spring email me first..
[email protected]

berettapistols

Blackhawk
roylt after just looking at my extra slide, barrel & recoil rod & spring setup It came to me me that maybe your recoil spring was installed backwards..
There's a BIG end & a SMALL end to the spring..
The smaller end goes onto the recoil rod & large end into the front of the slide..
If it were fired backwards the small end of the spring forward it would wear the guide rod more as the small end isn't tapered like the large end..
Just a Thought

roylt

Hunter
Gary you are good!!
Ruger just called me back and said the same thing.
I'm pretty sure that is it, so I'll buff the rod a bit and make sure there is no burr or anything on the slide hole and she should be ready to go.

I was pushing on what the hammer drops against and couldn't make the firing pin protrude out like it was striking the primer of a bullet. Is this normal or can you even follow what I am saying? Maybe the force of the hammer dropping springs the firing pin forward just enough to hit the primer and then and goes back to a resting postion. so by just pushing the end it doesn't overcome the spring enough to make the end "peek" out. Hope you follow this and I'm sure I'm showing how new to guns I am but you got to start someplace right.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
There's a firing pin block in the slide that's released only when the trigger is pulled, you'll see a round flat bottomed spring loaded part from the bottom of the slide, It must be depressed before the firing pin can move forward into the breach, This is a safety..

Put a pencil in the barrel eraser toward the breach face, with no ammo of course, & hold the gun pointing toward the ceiling & dry fire it..
The pencil should be driven out 1-3 feet..
It's an easy way to check to see if the firing pin safety is being released..

In the second picture you sent me it does appear to have the spring on the recoil rod backwards.. No Harm Done..

That's what you get when you buy a used firearm, there's always something that the previous owner did & had no idea..
It may have jammed bad & that's why it was sold..
You may have just healed it..
Good Luck Roy!!

Here's that second picture..

Recoil Spring Installed Backwards on KP89DC
NOTE: large end of spring toward the rear & small end toward muzzle

dsc00413email.jpg

roylt

Hunter
Hope to get it back together by next week and go to the range.

Currently roofing my Dad's old place to get it ready to sell. Couldn't work on it last night so that is the only way I got to "play" with my guns.

I can't wait to get back to it to confirm this is the fix!!

berettapistols

Blackhawk
You should be fine Roy & if there's a high spot on the rod just smooth it out with a piece of fine sandpaper or scotch brite pad..
Don't forget to put a few drops of oil on the rod & rub it around with your fingers, This has always worked for me..

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I did some research for you while looking for parts for my P93.

Numrich gun parts has rods with tips, limited quantities, for $7.00
Might want to buy a couple spares while they are still available.
Part number 525240B

roylt

Hunter
Thanks Gatorhugger! I think my rod will be fine, I buffed it out this morning and now it looks polished like the sides of my slide.

If it still give problems I may have to order one.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
That rod shows in the last parts flyer I got a few weeks ago from Ruger..

V22000 Guide Rod - P85,P85MKII,P89,P90 (W/TIP) $5.00

V22000-100 Guide Rod/Recoil Spring Assembly - P85,P85MKII,P89,P90 (W/TIP) $6.50

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Ruger sent the flyer to me when I ordered a FREE Owners manual for the P89 blume357.. It covers ALL the P-Series
Get a serial # & give them a call..
I just left a message & had the manual + flyer in a few days..

I came across a box of magazines today that the guy wanted $18ea for 30-40 different P-Series magazines but wanted to sell me the whole box but never got a exact price..
There were early & late P85/89 mags, P18s, KP18s, & several 40cal & ten round 9mm Clinton magazines too??
I also found myself now wanting a PC-9 Carbine, I know were 8-10 of these are for $400ea?? Only 1-2 looked minty the rest had some rust..

berettapistols

Blackhawk
You'll have to wait but I will get the info & report back here...
I didn't go back to the Gunshow today but these aren't at the gunshow anyway..
I want first pick of them..

roylt

Hunter
A PC 9 would be sweet but I better hold off for now. Please post pics etc.

I did get my KP back together and it looks like the spring being on correctly and buffing the rod is all I needed. Still hoping for time to get to the range.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I posted the info in the Rifle area in a PC9 sling thread..
The seller is Orion Arms Formerly Keisler's Police Supply

I'm gonna pass as I'm broke & shouldn't spend my last $100 to put another toy on layaway.. I must resist..

Besides my Buddy has one, His is a Ghost Ring Model & came with four magazines & cost $325, Also bought @ Orion/Keisler's about 5-6 months ago.

Congrats on the KP89DC Roy!!
I bet it'll run 100% as these pistols are beefy..
Range Report Due on mine one of these days as well..

roylt

Hunter
I hear you on resisting. I think my wife will pop a gasket if I mention one more thing about guns. Being my newest hobbie it has monopolised our conversations some.

I am thinking about getting a nice safe. Any input? I'm looking for something that is 50/50 meaning space for pistol boxes and long guns.