Bannock bread, thanks Tom Black

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I made some Bannock bread today. What a great recipe! I was expecting something close to a biscuit. It's really more like a pancake though. I used self rising flour, butter and buttermilk. I also added a pinch of salt and a dollop of maple syrup.

I pan fried them in my Lodge Steel skillet. I like the steel skillet so much more than cast iron. It's smoother, easier to maintain and lighter weight. The next time I make them, I'll use my griddle. When we updated our kitchen, I got a gas range with a built in griddle. It's out of this world fantastic.

But Tom, your Bannock bread was a big hit with my daughter and her friend today. It was neat to talk about how this recipe probably developed, and that more than likely, Civil War soldiers ate the very same thing.

So thank you!

tom black

Blackhawk
Good grief. My heads gonna explode. Thank you for the kind words Kevin. After reading one of Colonel Townsend Whelen's books on camping many years ago I've been hooked on bannock. I make mine about a half inch thick and greatly prefer it and cornbread made with buttermilk. Never used a griddle to make it but will certainly have to try it. Thank you again.
Tom

Blume, Tom sent me the recipe in a pm. I don't think he'd mind if I share. I used self rising flour, cubed up about 1/2 a stick of cold butter, and added buttermilk to get a thick dough. It was a little thicker than pancake batter. Then I added a pinch of salt and dollop of maple syrup. They fried up just like pancakes. And yes they did rise nicely and were really fluffy and light.