WTS *****El Tigre 92 44WCF<<<<<<<OFF TO AUCTION >>>

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
Selling my 44WCF EL TIGRE a copy, made in Spain between 1915 and 1938, of the Winchester 92. The bore is excellent. Below, taken after a search of the internet, is a better description of the rifle in general. It has been said elsewhere that the rifle Steve McQueen used in Wanted Dead or Alive was also an El Tigre ( info garnered from John Taffin's "Book of The 44" page 229 where he says the El Tigre was made under a special agreement with Winchester and Steve McQueen's two Mare's Leg's were built on El Tigres). Additionally, it is said that when you see a rifle in the western movies thrown down on the ground that was typically an El Tigre since they were not as valuable as a 92 Winchester...............$995.00 + shipping.

Included with the above price are dies, a small flat rate USPS box filled with Montana cast bullets and about 200 new and once fired STARLINE cases.

Cross listed on another site

There are at least three counterparts made in 44-40, the El tiger manufactured by Garate Anitua under license in Spain, the counterpart which Browning markets and that of the Brazilian company Rossi.

The El Tigre rifle was a Spanish copy of the Winchester Model 1892 made by Garate, Anitua y Cia., an Eibar based arms manufacturer between 1915 and 1938.

Ironically, it may have been the intensive marketing efforts of the Winchester Company's agent in Spain during the 1870s and 1880s that led to the El Tigre's popularity in Spain.

The El Tigre rifles were again chambered for the Winchester .44-40 cartridge (known in Spain as the .44 largo) made in the late 1920's and 1930's.

The top of the barrel is marked with the address ahead of the rear sight and "44 L" at the breech. The El Tigre trademark is located on the left center of the receiver. The upper receiver tang is marked: "MARCA REGISTRADA/-TIGRE-/MODELO PATENT-ADO". Some weapons don't have this marking. These are well made, almost identical copies of the Winchester Model 1892 carbine.

This rifle El Tigre is rarer, it is the weapon of The Rifleman is an American series televised in 168 episodes 30 minutes, black and white.
This rapid fire mechanism was designed originally just to keep Chucks finger from getting punctured by the trigger as he fired and cocked the rifle very fast.
The gun itself was specially modified with a large loop and metal tab to turn his rifle into a rapid-firing machine. The modification was made giving Connors the ability to spin and cock the rifle in a dramatic fashion. The trigger guard was retooled with a screw to trip the trigger every time the lever was closed. The gun became an icon for Connors, and today is one of the most recognizable guns in the world.

A feature of the rifle was a screw pin attached to the large loop lever which was positioned so as to trip the trigger when the ring was slammed home, thus allowing Lucas to rapid-fire the rifle, similarly to a semi-automatic pistol. When properly adjusted, this screw "squeezed" the trigger when the lever was fully closed. I may also add that it is important that the breech bolt on the rifle is fully closed at the precise time that the pin screw trips the trigger. The timing of the rifle action being in sync with the trigger trip is very critical to perform the rapid-firing of a Rifleman's rifle. In other words the set screw installed through the trigger guard part of the lever must be installed and be adjusted to strike the trip of the trigger at exactly the right time-provided of course, that the action is adjusted properly to work under this kind of triggering. So configured, the lever action carbine functioned as a "slip hammer" gun, as there was no need to squeeze the trigger to fire the shot."

[/url

[url=https://postimg.cc/N5PhJVZk]

veeman

Single-Sixer
Interesting. I've never heard of McQueens Mares Leg being a El Tigre. I've read more times than I can count that it is a modified Winchester 92.

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
veeman said:
Interesting. I've never heard of McQueens Mares Leg being a El Tigre. I've read more times than I can count that it is a modified Winchester 92.

info garnered from John Taffin's "Book of The 44" page 229 where he says the El Tigre was made under a special agreement with Winchester and Steve McQueen's two Mare's Leg's were built on El Tigres.

Seventy7rs

Single-Sixer
Cool rifle. I am tempted. Thanks for posting the background info. What is the range report on this. Have you fired it - what kind of accuracy? Cycles and feeds nice? Thanks.

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
Seventy7rs said:
Cool rifle. I am tempted. Thanks for posting the background info. What is the range report on this. Have you fired it - what kind of accuracy? Cycles and feeds nice? Thanks.

Have run about 200 +- rounds of cast bullets. Shoots, feeds and operates beautifully.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Is the Steve McQueen / El Tigre story just background, or is THIS rifle related to the TV show? I looks like a fairly standard El Tigre to me (like mine, though mine is rough outside).

Rob

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
Teddydogno1 said:
Is the Steve McQueen / El Tigre story just background, or is THIS rifle related to the TV show? I looks like a fairly standard El Tigre to me (like mine, though mine is rough outside).

Rob

Believe it is quite clear however will confirm it is Historical information only with no relationship to any TV program.

Status
Not open for further replies.