New Grips on my Wrangler

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brules

Single-Sixer
New grips for the Wrangler thanks to Mr. Deerstalker.
3x48zNbh.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Any explanation for the dual grooves on the Wrangler's cylinder?

Just to identify it as a Wrangler cylinder? And are the cylinders for the Single Six and Wrangler the same?

Bob Wright

Brules

Single-Sixer
I'm pretty sure the Wrangler cylinder will not fit the Single Six. I assume you're correct on the dual grooves are to ID it as a Wrangler cylinder. For the money the Wranglers are a steal. I have 3 Wranglers and each cost $179.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Brules said:
I'm pretty sure the Wrangler cylinder will not fit the Single Six. I assume you're correct on the dual grooves are to ID it as a Wrangler cylinder. For the money the Wranglers are a steal. I have 3 Wranglers and each cost $179.

A nice improvement with those grips!

I'd like to know if the cyl will interchange as well. Do you have a single six to test it?

Although the Wrangler action has a simpler version* of cyl free spin capability, slightly different than the New Vaquero and New FlatTop, the cyl design/manufacture itself is not different than any other single six new or old model cyl due to that.

* Wrangler's version is unique to the Wrangler model: has the free spin hand/pawl of the Ruger indexing pawl system (RIPS - chamber alignment for loading and unloading), but not the detent pawl in the hammer channel to click the cyl into alignment to the chambers and prevent further backwards rotation.

I haven't handled a Wrangler in a while; I'm trying to recall if there was any difference that would prevent interchange with a single six and can't come up with anything.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I dont remember why but when I tried to swap they are totally different and will not even fit into place.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's true all too often even when swapping single six cyls.

It doesn't mean they're not interchangeable design and function wise, just that production size tolerances are loose enough that fitting may be required; two completely separate and distinct issues.