My RSSE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattsbox99

Hunter
Here is my engraved, or at least the start of the engraving of my single six. I'm undecided if I want to finish or not. This project started out at least 3 years ago and has made it through (or caused) 2 divorces. The first gunsmith to prep it for engraving took about 3 months to get it prepped. The engraver who is a very accomplished master engraver for a very prominent local company started on the work. He's the kind of guy that only does PRCA championship belt buckles. He ended up getting divorced in the middle of the job and lost pretty much everything. He called me a few months ago and said he was packing everything up and found my single six. I had asked him to take it to a friend's gun shop so that it could be put back together and blued by the first gunsmith. When I called that gunsmith up he said he was in the middle of a nasty divorce and was out of the business for a while.

I was at a point in the spring of this year when I figured I was never going to see this single six again. I hadn't been able to get a hold of the engraver and nobody had even seen him in a while.

I finally got it back last week. I still have to have it put back together and blued if I don't have it finished.

RSSE3.jpg

RSSE2.jpg

RSSE4.jpg

RSSE1.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
Most of the engraving seen on todays guns is all done by a computer, and I agree is very distasteful and fake looking. Generally it is so over the top and shallow looking that it is a big turnoff. Pretty much any mass produced engraving is choke worthy.

mattsbox99

Hunter
No work on the frame, thats where I'm undecided. Again, I haven't even talked to another engraver. It is generally taboo for one engraver to finish someone else's work and I doubt anyone else would.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I'm in that "less is more" group too and think that's some nice work. I like it it as it is. Don't believe I'd blue it even. Put it back together and enjoy!

flattop44

Buckeye
mattsbox99 said:
No work on the frame, that's where I'm undecided. Again, I haven't even talked to another engraver. It is generally taboo for one engraver to finish someone else's work and I doubt anyone else would.

If you decide that you want to have the rest of the gun engraved why not just get another "unengraved " grip frame to put on the gun. Then you will have a completely new "canvas" for the new engraver!!

FT44

mattsbox99

Hunter
It's been many years now and so many life events have transpired. I finally got around to talking to an engraver and he agreed to do the work. Back in late October I dropped it off and discussed finishing it up. I requested a simple job just to tie it in. He didn't need to go whole hog on it. Anyway I got it back today. https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/dtjjqBUERcyJXrS15DF9Bg.NNmIdbrX7gmPW46iy5HPDk

Johnnu2

Hunter
That looks mighty beautiful to me......... Three questions:

1) If you don't mind posting, who is the engraver?
2) Did he 'sign/initial' his work?
3) Is he still married ?

THANKS,
J

mattsbox99

Hunter
Johnnu2 said:
That looks mighty beautiful to me......... Three questions:

1) If you don't mind posting, who is the engraver?
2) Did he 'sign/initial' his work?
3) Is he still married ?

THANKS,
J

Aaron Pursley finished it, yep he signed it thankfully. Not sure on 3 since I didn't meet him.

I wasn't sure how the pinto look would turn out but I am very happy with it. I saw a few examples that left the grip frame sort of polished and definitely did not want that so to have the dull finish and dark lines in that part of the engraving is appealing.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It looks done and very good to me. Those alloy grip frames aren't blued, they're powder coated. And they don't match the blued steel anyway, so I'd leave it two tone.

I replace all my alloy grip frames with blued steel so they match the gun.

Or stainless steel for the two tone look.

orig.jpg

single action

Single-Sixer
My issue would be having another engraver that could continue the work that was sympathetic to the original work without it looking totally different or a poorly executed marriage of techniques or styles I would enjoy what you have IMHO Bob

Latest posts