is this the holly grail of ruger semiauto pistol? Red eagle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CRDLIBERTY

Bearcat
1950 gun #7726, thinking about selling.
DSCF0066.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
I don't know if you would call it the "holy grail", but the early guns are very nice in a collection. There are actually ten red eagle variations with the 4-3/4" barrel and one variation with a 6-7/8" barrel. The very earliest guns were shipped straight to the buyer via Railway Express in a sliding lid Salt Cod box. If any were to be considered "holy grail", red eagles boxed like this would certainly be close to that description.
Chet15

pete44ru

Hunter
[If any were to be considered "holy grail", red eagles boxed like this would certainly be close to that description.]

i.e., A true "Holy Grail" would be NIB, in it's box, inside it's salt cod box, with papers, etc.

Do you have the original packaging ?

Thank You, Flatgate....nice picture of what any "22 auto rimfire collector " would have to consider "almost"... "the holy grail".......
that would trip my trigger................................. :roll:

CRDLIBERTY

Bearcat
its long gone now, so just by the serial number i can represent in a sale red eagle? The grips where showing there age and i belive i sprayed with krylon satin black few years ago. Information was not availble easily as to the year and type of gun. Ive gone ahead and listed on GB. Your dear friends gun what might that be worth?

Yessir, by the serial number that is a red eagle,type III, one of the more common variations....made between March17 and Oct 9,1950 and by th way, was most likely NOT a salt cod boxed gun, as they ended just before this gun, if any shipped later, would be on an individual basis, or check further with Chet15 and his "notes".......... :wink:

pete44ru

Hunter
[its long gone now(box), so just by the serial number i can represent in a sale red eagle? The grips where showing there age and i belive i sprayed with krylon satin black few years ago.]

FYI - IMHO, No box + messed-with grips + worn finish = shooter, not "holy grail".

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Flatgate send that 2 digit cod boxed gun to me if ya can get Steve to sell it for 3300 :D :D :D I will give it a good home next to BHH3 #96 :D :D :D Hey see what he would take for the single six #96 while your at it :D :D :D I can only HOPE he lets loose of those some day :roll: :roll: :roll: see ya RR.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hi CRDL, the Red eagle gets very little respect from most collectors......I just sold several RE's with great original finish but had higher serial numbers for around 400 shipped just recently...the 2 digit gun in the cod box is a different story altogether........may not be right but that's the way it is......OH YA condition is everything......a rough gun I just walk right by....good luck, see ya RR.

contender

Ruger Guru
Rod, I've seen you buy a rough Red Eagle a few years ago in Nashville.
Yep, condition, low serial numbers, completeness, etc all contribute or detract from value.

CRDLIBERTY

Bearcat
Im going to mod the gun maybe some coco grips. Just looked at ruger stainless hunter 3 with cocos $410 cool gun but seems theres alot of them.