WTK: Ruger GP100 .44 Spl blued??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

k22fan

Blackhawk
I want them to go in the opposite direction. If they'd make the 5 1/2" inch .44 Special in stainless I'd buy two. I forget if the blued ones are 5" or 5 1/2". Either length would be fine.

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
k22fan, agree on the longer barreled stainless version. I looked at the 3 inch and personally think it is way ugly. looks to blocky/chunky. would like to see a real blued version, the photos look good. Btw, I believe that the blued version is 5".

Dave Nowlin

Bearcat
Instead of just looking at the 3 inch you should actually handle one. They balance very well in the hand with the unfluted cylinder and full lug. It would be front heavy if the barrel were longer. With heavy cast bullet handloads you don't really give up that much. Elmer Keith actually preferred a 4 inch. Then again his S&W 29 had fluted cylinder and the barrel didn't have a full lug. I rather expect the balance of this gun to be similar to his. I love mine.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I waited 20 years for a chance to get a S&W 696. I finally got one a few months back about the same time Ruger​ announced the 3" 44Spl. I got one of those and they are fairly comparable to one another​. The Ruger is a little heavier but it balances well and the extra heft helps with recoil.

Strangely enough, I got a chance to buy another 696 with a box. The receipt from the purchase of the barely used gun in 1995 was still in the box with all the paperwork - $375. I paid $825 and was smiling. :mrgreen:

I would be interested in a GP with a longer barrel, either 5 or 6" but I don't care if it is blue or not. I like blued guns but the finish of stainless does not run off on holsters.

I would also go for a 41Mag or a 41 Ruger Special ( My idea for a name for SAAMI approval). I have actually acquired more 41's the last couple of years than 32's. :shock: There have been quite a few of the "Mid-Mags" coming out lately. I just like them since they are different.

They do need some other barrel lengths and finishes for different tastes...

32Magfan

ADP3

Single-Sixer
There's a Blue 5 "version, Model 1765.

Best Regards,
ADP3