Wrangler grip frame size?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I don't own a Wrangler and haven't handled a Wrangler since they first came out. What size grip frame do they have, the XR3 size like the New Vaqueros and New model Flattop Blackhawks or the XR3-RED size of all the other models (except the SBH)?
Thx!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Thank you! I thought all these years it was Ruger's most standard size by default, but I'd never confirmed it. Then I saw a poor photo in an adv and couldn't tell for sure. So I wanted to confirm I hadn't made a wrong assumption. I remembered being surprised when I first handled the Wrangler and discovered it had a different version of Ruger's free spin cylinder, and I began to wonder.

On all my old model and new model small frames I automatically swap their alloy grip frames to XR3 steel grip frames. But I'll probably never own a Wrangler anyway.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Believe me I'm tempted. But... I currently own about 14 .22s and 3 .32 mags. I can hardly keep the rust and the dust off of those.

I would be getting a Wrangler strictly as a project to customize it with other Ruger parts. So I'll wait until one of my friends gets one that he wants customized.😊

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I am going out later today to buy Wrangler. I have two Single Sixes, but want to save wear and tear on them. So is the Wrangler the same grip frame as a modern Single Six ?

CHEVYINLINE6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Yes it is. But it's not anodized or powder coated aluminum alloy like the main frame, it's zinc pot metal sprayed with cerakote to match the rest of the gun.
I went and bought a black 4-3/4 inch model. $229.00 plus tax. I have a couple of New model grip frames that I took to work years ago and glass beaded them because they were scratched up a little. I may use one of those or buy a stainless grip frame. It will be a couple of days before I can pick it up. I may just leave it as is.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Latest posts