worst semi-auto experience?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
Worst ever was an early Walther P22. Too many problems to go into detail about. 2nd worst was a Taurus Pt140, broke down religiously. I wanted to like it, but alas it failed me constantly. Those 2 really jump out from my memory as the worst. I'm sure there are others that I have forgotten/blocked out.

welder

Buckeye
Kahr K40.

Broke the slide stop lever on the 36th. round the day I bought it new. Kahr sends me a new one and says they have some bad ones out there. I learn the meaning of MIM parts.

It would lock back on a full or partially loaded magazine (any round-any brand) about every 3rd. or 4th. shot. Kahr sends me two new magazines but the problem persists. I send it back on my dime and two weeks later it comes back with a note saying "repaired".

No dice, it still locks back regularly. I give up, trade it to my dealer with full disclosure and he says he'll send it back again. I no longer care.

Bought my first Glock, a factory refurbished G19 police trade in and never look back.

Funny thing, about three weeks after I trade the kahr K40 I receive two more new mags and another slide stop in the mail. I still have the slide stop but traded the mags to my dealer new in the package.

One of my worst gun experiences was a Kimber Compact Stainless chambered in .40S&W. (Factory option at the time) Traded a buddy out of it. Jammed all the time and the frame rusted terribly under the grips. Only other gun I had that rusted that bad under the grips was another 1911. A Ruger. But the SR1911 was accurate and never jammed after tweaking the magazines.

My second worst gun experience was a Para Ordnance Tac 4. 14 round double stack 1911 .45 with LDA trigger. It wouldn't feed 2 rounds, ever. Never. No matter what I tweaked on it. It was basically a single shot. Consistently.

Jim Puke

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
One of my worst gun experiences was a Kimber Compact Stainless chambered in .40S&W. (Factory option at the time) Traded a buddy out of it. Jammed all the time and the frame rusted terribly under the grips. Only other gun I had that rusted that bad under the grips was another 1911. A Ruger. But the SR1911 was accurate and never jammed after tweaking the magazines.

My second worst gun experience was a Para Ordnance Tac 4. 14 round double stack 1911 .45 with LDA trigger. It wouldn't feed 2 rounds, ever. Never. No matter what I tweaked on it.

I hate it for you...I love'em...Para and Kimber.

Oh, meant to suggest, you probably need a Glock.

Kimbers are pretty, they look nice. They utilize substandard manufacturing compared to the cost of the product, however. Kimber builds a 600 dollar gun. They charge 1200.

Jim Luke said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

My second worst gun experience was a Para Ordnance Tac 4. 14 round double stack 1911 .45 with LDA trigger. It wouldn't feed 2 rounds, ever. Never. No matter what I tweaked on it.

I own several CZs, Sigs and an H&K. Quite satisfied.

Never any issues with my Ruger, Smith, or Colt revolvers. But that's for a different section.

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Kimbers are pretty, they look nice. They utilize substandard manufacturing compared to the cost of the product, however. Kimber builds a 600 dollar gun. They charge 1200.

100% agreed.

MIMbers are worth about half what people pay. Never saw one that could compare to a Colt.

50% of a MIMber's cost is all the advertising they do ... One of the worst values in 1911's. More MIM parts than almost any other 1911 on the market.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Jim Luke said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

At least Glocks are reliable and rarely break ... Unlike MIMbers.

Those LDA triggers are disgustingly bad, kinda like a 1911 with an SRWhatever or LCWhatever trigger. Horrendous.

REV

sandman228

Single-Sixer
a kel tec p11 ,never really had trouble with it just hated it .5 mile long 50 lb trigger pull or so it felt anyhow .trigger guard hurt my finger when I fired it and it wouldn't pick up the last round in the mag for some reason . I didn't keep it long, worst money I ever spent and if I could have test fired it 1 time I wouldn't have bought it . I actually preffered big clunky heavy hipoint pistols over the kel tec . ive moved on since then I do still own 1 Taurus pt100 1 rock island armory 1911 a2.and a heritage 22 revolver ,but other than those couple every other handgun in my cabinet is ruger or s&w I wont even look at any other brands but I do realize you can get a lemon in ANY brand now a days . I almost forgot when I was on my 1911 kick I bought 1 of those gsg 1911 22's ive heard allot of praise on them I dunno I must have got a lemon there too , I had trouble with the mag follower they sent me a replacement I had some other issues too I cant remember right now. I ended up dumping it too it functioned ok I just couldn't stand it

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
My Kel Tec PF9 was the biggest jammomatic POS I have ever encountered. I tried working things out but after around 600-800 rounds through it and only having maye 3 or 4 mags fired through it without a malfunction I traded it off.

I don't care what new whizzbang Kel Tec comes out with, I will never buy one or recommend one.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Jim Luke said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I own several Sigs and an H&K. Quite satisfied.

Yeah, those 2 have the ergonomics of a Hi-Point...so I don't care for either of them...makes us even.

Yeah ... Sigs are ergonomically bad ... It's why almost every high end law enforcement agency in the world have used them for the last 30 years or so .... Including the Navy Seals and countless police departments.

You sure know your guns, Jim ... :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Agreed, and with that in mind Rev, I'm not sure how he could compare a P938 to Hi-Point. lol

Yeah ... That is pretty funny. I'd compare MIMbers to HiPoints way before Sigs.

REV

Al James

Hunter
Many have to be trained to use a different grip on a Classic model Sig.

Google the following to read more on the subject: sig slide not locking back

Ergonomic means different things to different hands.

True, that may be, a lot of individuals need to be trained to avoid limp wristing, not just with Sigs though...

This is a wonderful thread, enjoying reading everybody's experiences, keep'em coming.

Al James

Hunter
Sorry my post wasn't clear DA, I wasn't referring to limp wristing. The slide lock on the Sigs can be accidentally engaged by holding the gun wrong. I've seen it cause both locking open during firing a string, or causing the slide not to lock back/open after the last shot has been fired. I personally LOVE the location and operation of the slide lock but I have seen the problem many times. Especially with a gloved hand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hi-point pistols utilize the safety lever as a slide stop that must be manually engaged. Contrast that to how sigs have a slide stop, but no manual safety, and a decocker lever. Different ergonomics... Still...

Al James

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hi-point pistols utilize the safety lever as a slide stop that must be manually engaged. Contrast that to how sigs have a slide stop, but no manual safety, and a decocker lever. Different ergonomics... Still...

Correct. Method of operation difference instead of ergonomics. Ergonomic to me means how the pistol fits the hand or doesn't, are the controls [including trigger] easy to reach and operate without changing or shifting your grip, etc.