Will Ruger make a 9mm 1911??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seb1899

Bearcat
I have a RI 9mm 1911 and enjoy shooting it as ammo is reasonable in cost but I really like my SR1911 but the 45acp is pricey for paper punching. I find myself at the range with the RI 9 and the AA .22cal Conversion kit on the Sr1911.

I have emailed Ruger saying how popular a 9mm 1911 would be but I do not see/hear any rumors that a 9mm 1911 might be in the offing.

How hard would it be for Ruger to produce the 9mm?

If this subject has been 'beaten to death' please disregard :oops:

revhigh

Hawkeye
If they did make a 9, it would most likely sell like hot cakes, but it would probably take 2 years before it was produced in enough quantity to sell at a price commensurate with its quality ..... and that price is NOT $800.

REV

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I would be interested in one but like Rev wrote, I'm not going to pay a premium price for the latest and greatest thing from Ruger. Great guns but the SR1911 selling for $700 or more is just ridiculous.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I don't think $700 for a sr1911 is ridiculous. I think it's a lot more gun that $700 will buy from most manufacturers.

As for the 9mm, I got tired of waiting and bought an STI Trojan. :mrgreen: It was almost twice what I would have paid for the SR1911 in 45. And while it's a nice gun, it's not twice the gun, IMHO.

seb1899

Bearcat
I got my Ruger SR1911 for $549. plus tax at a local gun shop a little over a year ago. Now that price is $599. I would expect they will sell a 9mm in the same pricew range if the Ruger MSRP is around the current 1911 MSRP. I did have to wait about 6 mos for my pistol at this price though (I got on their list and waited...and waited :)

modrifle3

Buckeye
Range Officer sells now for under $800 and is a better gun. It also comes in 9mm....as a owner I can say it is very nice and runs very well on kimber mags.

olyinaz

Bearcat
modrifle3 said:
Range Officer sells now for under $800 and is a better gun. It also comes in 9mm....as a owner I can say it is very nice and runs very well on kimber mags.

Please expand, better on what basis? I have both, very much like the Range Officer, but feel that the Ruger is in exactly the same class.

Oly

revhigh

Hawkeye
olyinaz said:
modrifle3 said:

Please expand, better on what basis? I have both, very much like the Range Officer, but feel that the Ruger is in exactly the same class.

Oly

Accuracy, machining, quality of components, not two tone, level of fit and finish, cosmetically nicer and better trigger, nicer grips, better sights, comes with three mags, holster, mag carrier, easily capable of sub 2 inch groups, usually approaching 1 1/2 inch groups ... Basically a cosmetically stripped down, but functionally equivalent TRP.

They are not in the same class ... The SR is a basic entry level gun ... The RO is at the next level, easily capable of being used (and being competitive) in bullseye, IDPA, USPSA, and other action type competitions right out of the box.

That is not to say that the SR is not a perfectly fine weapon.

REV

modrifle3

Buckeye
I agree with what he said. Owning both I can say the fit and quality of the machining is better on the RO. Also the trigger is smoother. Barrel on the RO has a smoother bore better crown and better slide fit. I really liked my SR but had a barrel with a shallow chamber and I was given $600 on trade toward a RO .... Had to let the puppy go.