WILEY CLAPP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Ale-8(1) said:
" . . . the majordomo behind a Talo exclusive Lightweight Commander made by Colt...

This is another thing on my long list of things I don't understand. Unless you're shooting in competition (and I know thousands of people do), what's the point of accurizing and tweaking a .45 semi-auto to death? Wiley Clapp (sigh), Les Baer, Ed Brown, Talo, and this latest thing that costs about $4K...the Nighthawk or something? And others. Really, what's the point?

I recently had the privilege of shooting a friend's old Ithaca contract WWII .45. Parkerized, and it'd rattle a bit if you shook it. Had a good sized chip out of the left grip and the front sight didn't look as tall as I thought it should (but that might've just been my eyes). This was a fighting pistol, a soldier's gun. And somehow, despite the fact that absolutely nothing had been done to this pistol other than regular maintence and cleaning, I managed to keep six shots in a 6-inch circle covering the heart area of a man-target at 25 yards. Had one flyer way off target. And I've had cataract surgery and wear bifocals. So how much accuracy do you need in a close-quarters combat or self defense situation?

Sometimes it just seems a bit much to me.

Some folks buy a Bentley, or a Rolls Rpyce, or a top-end Corvette . . . because they want one and can afford it. Their money, their choice.

I drive a 12-year-old Forester and am quite happy, thank you. My money, my choice.

Takes all kinds and keeps the custom shops in bidness.

;)

WESHOOT2

Hunter
He added significantly to my knowledge of handloading, and his advice on all things firearm-related has enhanced my personal firearm-related existence.

He is (at least) one of us.......

CraigC

Hawkeye
An accurate 1911 is a viable 50yd deer gun and for me, more fun to shoot.

IMG_8044b.jpg

Old RugerFan

Bearcat
Wait a minute...doesn't everyone want to be Jeff Cooper? :lol: I have several of his books; amazing life.

Oh, and Wiley Clapp has written many good things, too. Either way, the WC GP-100 is awesome. I hope to get one one of these days.

revhigh

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
An accurate 1911 is a viable 50yd deer gun and for me, more fun to shoot.

IMG_8044b.jpg

Oh yeah ! Love the Range Officers ! Nice mag well and grips too, although I'd prefer the grips checkered !

My favorite Springfield 1911.

As Larry Potterfield always says .... Only accurate guns are interesting .... 6 inches plus at 25 yards ain't interesting at all. :D

And most people sure as hell don't need to spend $4k to get a 1911 that they can't outshoot. Gold Cups and RO's work for me.

But then so will this ... I Have about $475 in it.

REV

olyinaz

Bearcat
There's always those who like to tear any man down who stands out a bit. It's a kind of social communism I have no appreciation for.

Oly

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Sgt405 said:
He served this great country in both the military and with a career in law enforcement. When you walk with danger you formulate opinions and preferences. We all do. It does not mean those opinions will be shared by everyone. We all have the ability to glean information and make our own decisions . I have been in the Army and have 38 years in a law enforcement career. I had the pleasure of meeting some of the greats and some who just wanted anonymity. While I stop short of calling most a legend, Mr Clapp does have far more knowledge than I and his opinions are respected. If I do not agree with someone I will not resort to belittling them.

His input with Colt and Ruger via TALO was asked for as far as what he would want as features on the respective guns to make them combat worthy from the box at a reasonable price. Again, his opinion. You don't have to agree. I for one do on the GP100WC. It beats my S&W Performance Center F-Comp hands down. I carry it off duty now.
Thanks, Sgt. Very well said.

Opinions vary. For example:

I prefer S&W DA over Ruger DA.

I do thoroughly enjoy my Ruger SA!

I miss the days of Elmer writing for G&A. And Ross too. I haven't subscribed since.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Wiley Clapp has written some great articles over the years. He is definitely one of the good ones. Damn fine gunwriter and conservative. You would be hard pressed to find a guy who knows more about the availibility of custom features and gun accessories for instance. i would guess hes not as famous as some because he hasn't written any books (that I know of). I wouldn't give 10 Mike Venturinos for one Wiley Clapp.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/175-1751723-3441733?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Wiley%20Clapp

Amazon never forgets...but their search engine is ... questionable...
Geoff
Who reads American Rifleman regularly.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Sgt405 said:
He served this great country in both the military and with a career in law enforcement. When you walk with danger you formulate opinions and preferences. We all do. It does not mean those opinions will be shared by everyone. We all have the ability to glean information and make our own decisions . I have been in the Army and have 38 years in a law enforcement career. I had the pleasure of meeting some of the greats and some who just wanted anonymity. While I stop short of calling most a legend, Mr Clapp does have far more knowledge than I and his opinions are respected. If I do not agree with someone I will not resort to belittling them.

His input with Colt and Ruger via TALO was asked for as far as what he would want as features on the respective guns to make them combat worthy from the box at a reasonable price. Again, his opinion. You don't have to agree. I for one do on the GP100WC. It beats my S&W Performance Center F-Comp hands down. I carry it off duty now.
Well stated sir! I have disagreed with him, but he also has far more experience than I to base his opinions on.

A

Anonymous

protoolman said:
I wouldn't give 10 Mike Venturinos for one Wiley Clapp.

Who's Mike Venturino? Oh, hey, isn't he that chubby guy that neither rain, sleet, nor snow will stop him from killing American Bison for "sport", just to show off some new caliber gun? Yeah, I know who you're talkin' about now.

6gun

Hunter
BIGDAWG said:
Who is this guy?

Didn't know it was a guy, alway thought the Wiley clapp was some kind of sexually transmited disease. :lol:

well we're not talking about a group of 'ecclesiastical' folks who did write the books of the Bible, just another guy with a "past, a bit of knowledge, and the opportunity "to write for ANY given 'publication' and like all the rest of us puts their pants on one leg at a time, and as all of us has their own "opinions" and they get theirs in "print" ,hey just like we do on a forum??? but for the MOST part, the preaching is to the choir....bottom line they have followers, and worshippers, so sort out what works for YOU, and put it to good use, , for the common cause, like said earlier, he is just " another one of us....."
and he did just write an article in the American Rifleman ( NRA) about the Ruger 45s, decent job.

As Grandpa always said, "opinions are like butt....s, we all have one" 8)

Snake45

Hawkeye
protoolman said:
Wiley Clapp has written some great articles over the years. He is definitely one of the good ones. Damn fine gunwriter and conservative. You would be hard pressed to find a guy who knows more about the availibility of custom features and gun accessories for instance. i would guess hes not as famous as some because he hasn't written any books (that I know of). I wouldn't give 10 Mike Venturinos for one Wiley Clapp.
Agree completely, especially the part about the self-indulgent Venturino.

I think Clapp has written some books. I could swear I have a couple of DBI books by him from back in the '80s or early '90s.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Who's name was supposed to be on it? I may be wrong, but possibly Ruger wanted to come out with a special edition GP (like they've done with many other of their guns) and knew that this guy supported something similar to what they were already thinking about producing. Slap name on, sell more revolvers.

The gun seems pretty legit, except for me I'll just take the 4" considering the frame size pretty much requires a coat or open woods carry anyways. I got my 4" for 390 including tax. I'll just call it a win.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've been reading Clapp for more than 20 years, maybe close to 30. I've enjoyed his stuff and have a favorable impression of him--I think he's sensible and competent. But I have yet to see one of his "signature model" guns I'd want to buy. They're all okay, but they're not exactly the way I'd want to set them up, and for that kind of money, I want a gun done the way I want it. :wink: