Who Handloads .327 FED MAG for the SP101 or the GP100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RoverSig

Bearcat
Who handloads .327 FED MAG for the SP101 and/or the GP100?

I managed to acquire one of each - a SP101 and a GP100 - in .327 FED MAG. Looking to begin handloading, with an emphasis on finding mild but accurate loads, preferably using Berry's copper washed bullets.

Anyone have any experiences with this? Cautions or caveats on handloading .327 FED MAG? Observations on how the SP101 or GP100 in .327 FED MAG work? (I am aware of the history on the early SP101s in .327 FED MAG - shared my experiences on that post)

RoverSig :D

forty5

Bearcat
I reload for both the GP100 and the SP101 in 327 Federal. It reloads very nice, just like any other straight wall rimmed cartridge. I dont use Berrys plated bullets. If you do use the plated bullets, be very careful with the crimp or you can actually cut the plating. If you want light loads try Trail Boss with lead bullets. :D

Sal1950

Blackhawk
I would HIGHLY recommend you cut your teeth learning to reload with something other than Berrys or any other plated bullets for .327. There are a number of problems and tricks you need to learn to load plated bullets, specially for a revolver.

Either get some hard cast lead bullets or buy some real jacketed bullets. Mastercast can put you in a 1k 100g hardcast leads for about $40, a great place to start.
Sal

1chig

Bearcat
i love the round, i load for the sp101 327 and i use hornady xtp with universal with very good results at 25yrds

RoverSig

Bearcat
I understand the comments on the Berry's and crimping. I have used Rainier plated bullets in 9mm and in .40, but of course the crimp is much milder there - in fact, a heavy crimp in a round that headspaces on front of the chamber does not work well!

I note my Speer's #14 calls for a strong crimp with plated .327 bullets to ensure full ignition; I presume this is because the shell is so long and powder could in fact be some distance from the primer -- and spread out. Added later: reading the Berry's web page, I am guessing there is a danger of crimping so tightly that the copper plate (a thin coating) could be cut all the way around, causing it to separate from the lead center upon firing. Either way, my intent with the plated bullets is low-speed, low-power loads although using .327 shells -- but I will wait to try this later, after I can more familiarity with this round.

I will order some 100 or 110 grain FMJ rounds to work with; I have 100 cases as soon as I shoot the American Eagle ammo I bought.

Is there a small magnum pistol primer? Would that increase the efficiency of powder ignition?

Thanks for the ideas, will proceed carefully. Goal is to load .327 cases to roughly .32 H&R pressures to achieve a soft-shooting but accurate combination.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I have the Blackhawk in 327 but reloads are reloads.
With the additional power of the 327 over the 32 H&R mags, I'd load a good hard cast slug or a jacketed bullet. Otherwise, if you are loading plated bullets, use 32 H&R brass to load a bit milder. A sweet caliber,, and mine is a favorite.

forty5

Bearcat
There is a small pistol magnum primer, but it is not needed in light loads. A regular small pistol primer will give you all the ignition you need in light loads. For full power loads in 327 Federal Magnum Speer recommends using Small Rifle Primers.

ThundarStick

Bearcat
My first post on Ruger Forum! Let me first say that I am "all in" for the 327! I have always loved the 32 H&R and this round is even better! :D I have the Blackhawk, GP100, SP101, S&W 632, and a Taurus 2 inch. I have had ZERO problem with all but the Smith, (chamber throats too tight). My wife and I shoot them all, although I will confess to loading a rather stiff 32H&R for her in the small guns.
My favorite bullet for 32hr and 327 is a 100 gr cast lead at 12 hardness! I have more trouble with hard cast leading the bore than a softer bullet when using lead (do some research and you will find out why, it was a learning curve for me). Some of my most accurated loads have been with a Sierra 90gr JHP with a jacketed bullet.
I'm not sure if I can lay out my recipie on this forum. My favorite powder is H110 over a CCI 550 primer with a firm crimp for the 327s. I load the 32H&R with a median load of Bullseye and a standard primer. The faster powders are great in the short barrel revolvers, while the slower burning powders let the longer tube squeeze more fps outa the load.

I have shot my cast 327 loading in an IDPA match that used some knockdow popper targets and it put them down with every bit the umph as any 9mm or 45 at the match, and much better than any 380!

I would also like to add that there are some published loads floating about that are super hot! One in particular had me dumping so much H110 under a 100 gr XTP that I was deforming the nose trying to compress the load enough to crimp the load! :shock:

Now if Ruger will just put the round in that little bolt action and the 4 inch SP101 I will be in hog heaven!

32magfan

Blackhawk
Roversig,

I have all 3 Rugers and my Dad has a Taurus in 327. I laso have about 10 more 32 H&R's that I have loaded for since '85.

The 327 is fairly easy. The small pistol magnum primer is not needed unless you are loading hot stuff with slow powders (I use it for a longshot load).

I would buy 115 RNFP bullets (we cast our own) and load with Clays (3.7 gr Max) The load has a pretty good power level (925fps in GP, 875 fps in SP) You also get 1800+ reloads from a pound of powder. You can also load 3.0gr Red Dot in 32 H&R cases for a good load also.

I have used some Berry's bullets in auto cases but only in .357 in revolver cases. If you seat the bullet separately and use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the crimping, I think you won't have to worry about the crimp cutting the plating.

Good luck with the 327's - Obviously my favorite caliber. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

32Magfan

louiethelump

Buckeye
I use Unique and load cast bullets and mostly in 32 H&R cases as I have more of them. 1000 FPS is the goal for me. I find them very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
I have both the SP and GP and load for both. The Berry's double end and hollow base wad cutters work very nicely in the 32 H&R and the only other 32 they manufacture is a 71 gr round nose. I talked with Berry's customer service and none of their bullets are designed for the 327 pressures and velocity. I found some 100 gr SWCs that I use in the GP and also prefer Hornady XTPs. 85 grainers in the SP and 100 grainers in the GP. I've been using True Blue in the GP with the 100 grain XTPs for best accuracy. I'm still looking for the right load in the SP. I just haven't had it long enough or shot it enough.

RoverSig

Bearcat
I ordered 250 Berry's 71 gr round nose .312 plated bullets -- but realize these were intended for the .32 ACP. This box will probably be found in the back of the cabinet by my children after I am gone.

I also ordered, from Midway, 200 of the 100 gr .312 plated FN bullets (maker unspecified). These I will get back to later -- making sure they are well-crimped. I anticipate using only mild loads with these.

So, to get re-started, I went back and ordered some Hornady XTP Bullets .312 100 Grain JHPs. With these, I will start working up some loads with Unique and W231, using .327 cases, regular primers, and middling loads from Speer #14 for the .32 H&R Mag to begin.

I am anxious to get to the range, shoot the American Eagle 85 gr and 100 gr ammo I have, and then use those cases to start reloading.

Appreciate the comments and pointers by all - thanks!

RoverSig

Bearcat
I used the Hornady 32 S&W/H&R Magnum ties (Item 546509) with the #36 shellholder to size, bell, and load 52 rounds of .327 Fed Mag.

The Hornady die did a great job of resizing the .327 cases, even though it was intended for the shorter .32 H&R Mag case. The shell goes almost all the way in, stops about 1/4 inch short, but that part of the case was not expanded or distorted in firing the original factory load (85gr American Eagle).

I loaded .32 (.312) Hornady XTP 100 grain bullets over 4.4 grains of Unique, using Winchester primers, with a pretty firm crimp at the cannelure. OAL was 1.450. My rounds had a crimp that looked exactly like the factory American Eagle rounds.

These rounds shot great -- accurate and very mild. This is a sort of low-end .32 H&R Magnum load from Speer #14.

I also loaded 2 rounds with the Rainier 100 gr plated .32 (.312) bullet (sold as a generic in a Midway box) with 3.5 grains of Unique - very mild, no problems. Will load more of these later; attention to crimping not to cut the copper plating; lower loads in line with lead bullets.

Both of these combinations could have been pushed a lot harder with more Unique, but the idea is to find a very user-friendly plinking round for the SP101, using the .327 Fed Mag cases with .32 H&R Mag loads.

Bottom line: initial reloading of the .327 Fed Mag cases was a success. More to follow.