Which would you buy? Update- it’s here, pic on page 2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Why are you buying? Collecting/investment or sentiment?
Well, I guess the best answer is I like cool stuff. I hope that didn't come off sounding "wrong". So … sentiment would be the most accurate. I guess I should really buy both…

I recently got my first 3 screw Single Six. It ignited a fire within me- it's a good condition although modified 1955. So now I want more… that's the impetus. I want the 1960 because that's the year I was born- but the plum because it's just so perfect, unusual, and beautiful.

Ok- so a picture is worth a thousand words. First, the 1960… EDIT- I decoded the serial wrong…it's a 1959. As such, my interest is diminished some
IMG_7356.jpeg

Next, the plum 1965.
IMG_7358.jpeg

Here's why I really became enamored with this one…
IMG_7357.jpeg

It's hard not to fall in love with that beautiful color.

As far as price goes, it seems mediocre examples have been selling for around $400 lately. I paid $390 for my 1955, and it's nice but has some non-original parts installed. Both of these are listed for about $100 more.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
It's a toss up for me.
59 is MY birth year but the grips gotta GO so there's another expense finding the right grips.
The 65 is super nice.
I'd shoot either one …. Can't hurt them a bit. It's what they were made for.

Well, I bought the 65. Might have it by the end of the week. Fingers crossed. The 59 is on a Buy-it-Now for another 70 days or so…and listed as a New Model. So I'm guessing if I want it down the road it might just still be there. I really would rather find a nice 1960 however. I've found a couple but the sellers want $800 plus for them and I feel that's a bit too much. The right one will come along…

When the 65 comes in I'll take some good pics and show it off!