Which cheap factory .223 ammo has the best brass for reloads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
I am new to centerfire rifles - I just bought a very nice used CZ 527 Varmint Laminate .223 and I want to try out some affordable range ammo to see how it shoots and what bullets it prefers (it has a 1 in 9 twist). I am not sure I want to reload for it yet, but OTH I may in the future, so I might as well start accumulating the best used brass for my present cash outlay.

I found a great deal on Fiocchi 55 gr FMJBT ($19 per box of 50 locally) and the brass looks noticeably nicer than the Hornady 55 gr SP ammo I bought for $6 more. The neck mouth is smoother and the case has been annealed - I don't see any visible signs of annealing in the Hornady.

Should I try more bullet types/ weights of the Fiocchi or should I just go for the Winchester cheap stuff? I'm pretty sure this gun will be happier with 50 gr and heavier bullets.....

If I find that the rifle shoots tight groups with a certain cheap factory ammo, I probably won't go to the trouble to reload for this gun, unless it turns out shoot so well that I start burning _lots_ of ammo...

Thanks for any comments or links.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
John E Davies said:
I found a great deal on Fiocchi 55 gr FMJBT ($19 per box of 50 locally) and the brass looks noticeably nicer than the Hornady 55 gr SP ammo I bought for $6 more. The neck mouth is smoother and the case has been annealed - I don't see any visible signs of annealing in the Hornady.
If I'm not mistaken, all brass is annealed, but the discoloration is polished off for appearance's sake in commercial brass, while the military likes to see it left on as proof of annealing.

At any rate, appearance means little in ammo. All that's important is how any given ammo will shoot in YOUR gun, as every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself. Your cheap ammo might shoot better than your more expensive stuff, or it might not--the only way you'll know is to benchrest-test them both. :wink:

10MMGary

Single-Sixer
I handload 223/5.56 and have never had any issues with Fiocchi loaded ammo or their brass, other than perhaps seeming to be a bit dirtier than some other factory loads. The price has always been right and the ammo functioned as expected. I have to say though I am a bit surprised with your experience regarding Hornady ammo. I have bought various cases of Hornady loaded ammo over the years and always found it to be high quality ammo, made with quality brass and projectiles. I have never bought either brand's virgin brass but have reloaded 1000s of both, starting with once fired brass and experienced no issues or noticeable difference. Maybe they(Hornady)had a sloppy lot get through QC somehow.

FWIW I can relate to cheap and am even fond of cheap in certain situations :D . But if you do start hand loading for your rifle I would suggest getting a 100 or so pieces of virgin Lapua brass(definitely not cheap), and try different projectiles and powders to see what that CZ can really do.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I reload mostly R-P (Remington), W-P (Winchester), and 5.56 Nato brass.

Note - I DO NOT suggest reusing Federal brass if you are loading to the upper end of pressures. F-C marked brass is about the weakest stuff out there and I don't even pick it up after seeing a few too many KABOOMs posted on the web from Federal F-C 223 brass!

edlmann

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
If I'm not mistaken, all brass is annealed, but the discoloration is polished off for appearance's sake in commercial brass, while the military likes to see it left on as proof of annealing.

More likely that the military won't pay any extra to polish off the discoloration, and the makers don't volunteer it.

unter1

Bearcat
The varmint Winchester .223 at wally world shoots best in our 700s. 1-12 twist. I wish my reloads performed so well.

I reload range pickups, sort by brand or date.....

mattsbox99

Hunter
They are all good enough to reload for plinking stuff. Serious target work may warrant Lapua stuff, but most likely not.

I've been served very well in the past with Remington and Winchester brass, and I'll continue to use that. I have several thousand Federal/LC cases that have done well also. Most of that has crimped in primers though and needs to be swaged or reamed.

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
PMC bronze ??

less then $7 a box. I'm new to reloading 223. and only have 3 reloads on my PMC brass, but I haven't seen anythin wrong with them yet.

Latest posts