What rifle/caliber for brown bear?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WJU

Bearcat
While I would LOVE to do a brown bear hunt the reality of it is that the cost of such a hunt is way out of my league. Now if I WON a hunt for brown bear......my Stainless, laminated 300 win mag Hawkeye would be the rifle I'd take. I have a 2-7x Leupold scope on it. Very accurate. I'd load up 200 grain Nosler Partitions for it (my elk load would work). It would be a fun hunt :)

RJ556

Buckeye
I hope to hunt a brown bear, during the 2017 season, here in Romania where I live. There are plenty of them no more than 25 miles from my doorstep, and some big ones too. I will be using my Ruger M77 African in 9.3x62. It is scoped with a Leupold VX-3 1.5x5 with a German #4 Reticle. My guide, (must have one by law) will carry my rifle sighted/short barreled Rem 870, stuffed with 3" slug loads as our back-up gun. RJ

6mm Remington

Single-Sixer
I would feel comfortable with either of the rifles that you mention. The 45-70 is a terrific caliber as is the 30-06. With the 30-06 I would work a load up using either 200 gr. Partitions or Accubonds. Best of luck, that is one hunt I would love to do some day.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
would I hunt browns with an 06? yes if I had a guide with a backup rifle. No if I was on my own. Personaly I think if you can shoot a 4570 lever gun you can handle something like a 300win mag or 338mag. there not the big step up in recoil your thinking. Most of them come is slightly heavier guns that help lower the recoil. Personaly if I was on my own hunting them id want at least a 300 mag and would prefer an 8mag or 338 if shots were going to be past a 100 yards and if under a 100 was wrote in stone then the 4570 would do real well. Yes an o6 will get it done but browns aren't grizzlys or black bear. They get BIG and are very expensive to hunt. So much so that adding 500 bucks for a new rifle isn't going to break the bank.

Latest posts